1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how hard is a self install?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tom18287, Nov 5, 2015.

1. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

hey guys. I found a great deal on the mounts and wiring for my new truck.(2015 silverado)

i'm mechanically inclined and i have a shop, how hard is it to do the install yourself? what is involved? any tips would be appreciated.

2. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Its not hard, just don't rush. I'll ask before someone else does, What model 2105 truck do you have, and what kind of plow you looking to install?

3. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

I just did an install on a 2015 Superduty. Total time was 3 hours or so. Probably could of done it quicker but I was taking my time. This is also my second install so I had a basic idea of what I was doing.

4. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

I'm going to reuse my old 2010 super Trip edge. 2015 3500 hd SRW

I found all the wiring and mounts for $350, seems like a great deal. I hate to put something used in a brand new truck but it's a plow so whatever ha-ha

5. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I just helped my buddy install boss on his 2014 silverado. Its was pretty straight forward, hardest part was removing the bumper and making a few cuts to get it back on. Also that was only the second one ive installed. First one was my Western wicth i also had to assemble as it was brand new. A little research prior to, instructions in hand, its really not to bad.

6. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

I'm pretty sure I don't have to cut the bumper because I don't have the z71 package, I hope

7. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

You can get the install instructions from BOSS' website. If you're mechanically inclined and have decent understanding of 12VDC systems you'll be fine. I did my install on a 2015 GMC 2500HD over the course of 3 days, maybe 10 hours total. 1st session was the wiring, 2nd session was the frame (MUCH easier with another pair of hands) 3rd session was fine tuning the cuts in the bumper and final cleanup. There was zero drilling required, but I did have to notch my bumper. It's a bit of a PIA to get to the factory wiring for the headlight adapters. If I recall correctly the suggested method is to fully remove the bumper and pull the headlight housing; I did not do that, one benefit of having smaller hands.
    If I was not as particular as I am I probably could've knocked it out in closer to 8 hours. I spent days deciding where I wanted to mount the solenoid. I eventually made a bracket to mount it to the horizontal lip by the firewall, near where the cross angle bracing attaches.
    This was my first install.
    Make sure you use a keyed 12V source for the trigger signal, if you use a constant it will drain your battery.

9. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

does anyone know if its possible to have the plug for the controller to come up from behind the center console instead of under the dash?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it's long enough, or if there's an extension harness available you could put it anywhere

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't think the factory harness is long enough.
    By the way, hope you've got the "B" revision of the mount, not the older "A". B is required for 2015+. It pushes the mounting holes a little further forward to clear the new bumper.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If your talking a create vee plow it's worth the $500 to have it installed. If it's just truck side I'd do it yourseld

13. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

If all you have to do is put the mount on then its a pretty simple task... Wiring takes longer honestly... I did mine in about 4hours taking my time.. If you have to put the plow together then its much more pain and is worth the money to get the dealer just to do it all

14. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

I put my dxt together in like two hours by myself. If I recall it was a total of like twenty or thirty bolts total of that. It was really easy. The hardest part was torquing the full trip cross pin while holding that funk bolt end with a large pair of vice grips and torquing to like 160ft lbs by myself. Other than that it was nothing special if your used to working on vehicles