1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How green can one be?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Holdembratt, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Holdembratt

Holdembratt Junior Member

I am greener than green when it comes to snow removal. This will sound dumb to most of you but here goes. Ok anyway how does one go about plowing a residential driveway with a truck. Do you just pull straight up to the garage or whatever, put the plow down, then back up?? Sorry, clueless here. All this snow we are getting in oklahoma just got me thinking about stuff (6-10" in oklahoma, a lot for us).

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance, This will just be the tip of the iceburg of my ignorance, questions.
  2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

No problem. Ask away. Thats what its about. But also use the search function as many topics like this have already been discussed and you got it right.

You "backblade" it away from the garage or whatever you cant back into...drag it away 1.5 to 2 truck lengths then turn around and push it.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Welcome to the site.

If you're new to the game click here to see the basic plowing procedures, outlined by BOSS. It's just a good way to understand the traditional techniques of snowplowing.

On a side note, why the hell is Oklahoma getting sh!tloads of snow, while New England is getting 70 degree weather?! :realmad:
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Its gods way of cooling off all the brokeback cowboys in dem parts.

5. Holdembratt

Holdembratt Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. As far as the temp, well it was 70 degrees here yesterday morning, and in the 30's last night. As they say around here, if you don't like the weather just stick around for a few min.

And for the brokeback mountain comment, don't confuse oklahoma with montanna, or wyoming or wherever that was movie was set in.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

if its a wide driveway and you can manuever your plow right you can angle it for the most part to one side, if you raise it just right you will push the bulk of it off onto thier lawn, then back drag, turn the truck around- push whats left next to the grass straight out to the driveway apron, then clean the apron.. etc.

really depends on the driveway, fencing, blocks, etc..
  7. ECS

ECS Senior Member

For me it depends on the snow conditions and the driveway layout. If it is a wet, heavy snow, I try to plow as mush onto the side of the driveway as possible first. If it is a nice powder, I will pull up to the gagae and back balde out anout 1 1/2 the lenght of my truck and plow, turn around and push it out. I hate driving over a pile of wet snow after back blading to push it out, it creates speed bumps.
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Tricky part..

Since we're on the topic of backblading here's something I've never figured out over the years..

It there's 12" of snow on the drive and you pull up to the garage to backblade, is there any way to prevent the snow from just getting packed down once you have backed up a few feet and there's so much snow built up behind your plow that it has no where to go?

I have tried many different techniques but havent found a quick one :yow!:
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Angle the plow like you would going forward. You'll be windrowing in reverse. I've actually used this for fairly long distances.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can open up the mouth of a drive this way too.
    Approach with it left angled
    (with the drive to your Rt side - Rt angled if the drive is to your left), push the snow to the side of the mouth of the drive raise to stack snow, drop plow down and still angled, reverse truck and steer it so the plow goes where you want it to. Raise plow as you reach the drive edge to stack the snow.
    This works good for short double condo drives. Two back drags, push to the side, reverse with plow still angled raise when you reach the edge to stack, done.
    Onto the next in line. Repeat over and over again all winter long, Hopefully
  11. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

That's too F$%#ing funny!!! I always thought Oklahoma was where men are men...and sheep are nervous!:drinkup: