1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How good are you guys at troubleshooting?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stuffdeer, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Heres my post from another board

Ok guys. Serious problem here. My truck is used 5 or 6 days a week to commute to school, and to work. So I kinda need to get this fixed.

I went out to start it yesterday, and it wouldn't start. 14 degrees out.

My dad and I pushed it into the garage and kicked the heater on, he said it started, but wouldn't start back up. I got home, started up, then it started RIGHT back up.

So, I've come to the conclusion, it'll start right back up when its about 110 degree under the hood. But, It won't this this morning either. It's 37 degrees.

I finally cranked it over long enough to get it to start, and then die. So I kept trying, and got it to start. But only after 2 mins worth of turning over?

Can you guys solve my problem?! I would be terribly Happy, and thank you forever!

Guess I got to tell you what engine and such.

2000 S-10
    2.2 5 speed.
    40,167 miles.

It threw these codes

Ok, Guys

I went to autozone and had them check the codes, it was throwing.

Turns out its throwing these 3, in this order.
    1.P04019 Error- PCM has determined that a malfunction exsists in the secondary air injection system.
    2. P1137 Error- Lack of H02S switch - system indicates lean (My starting problem)
    3. P0410PD Error- PCM has determined that a malfunction exsists in the secondary air injection system.

2. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I don't know if I can be much help but first of all look at the obvious things. When it's cold out do you use drygas? I see so many vehicles that won't start when it's cold because of ice in the system with that kind of symptom. Try and start off thinking in simple terms. It usually has to be gas or spark the reason it won't start. If it starts to kick and stop you have spark. Sounds like a gas problem. Start off by putting some dry gas in the tank. You could spray some ether in the intake and then see if it starts right up that way. Be very careful with that though. A few seconds spraying that in then go and try and start it. If it kicks right over you have a fuel problem. Try the dry gas first and go from there.

3. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Stupid question...

Whats Drygas?

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Dry gas mixes with any water that may be in your gas tank and allows it to pass or burn through. It prevents that water from freezing up. In the winter you get condensation in the tank sometimes and sometimes gas stations have some in the lines. If it gets in your gas line and freezes you will have problems. Go to any auto parts store, Walmart auto section, and you will see it advertised as dry gas, gas line anti freeze, heet, etc. There are a lot of names for it. It's always a good idea in the cold months to add a can when you fill up. Your symptoms sound to me like ice in the line. Pick up a few bottles and put one in the tank for starters. Let me know how you make out.

5. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Ok, I got the stuff. Once I get back from running errands, I'll pop a bottle in. I also got some injector cleaner and stuff like that. Is it fine to put both in at the same time?

6. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Dry gas is mostly just alcohol. If you don't have a lot of gas in the tank, once you get it started let it run a while and then fill it up and it won't hurt to throw more dry gas in. I have put fuel injector cleaner in there in between for years and never had a problem. Some of them do both. Fuel injector cleaners have detergents in them. I have a pickup that will not start in cold weather if I forget to put the dry gas in it from time to time. You might also want to try midgrade gas instead of regular if you have any issues with the way the engine runs. Try different things and see what works best.

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

BPK, if you have an ongoing problem with fuel line freezing then I suggest you drain the tank. Once you get water accumulating in the bottom of the tank, it can separate alcohol from the gas and cause lots of problems. I've seen tanks with over 1/2 gallon of water in the tank.

8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I took the tank off during the summer and completely flushed it. This is just one of those rigs that gets condensation in the tank in the winter if I don't keep it full all the time.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Stuff, Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the "run" position? If not do like BPK63 and use the starting fluid trick to see if it'll start but again be very careful with it.It only take a short spray of it in the air intake.

10. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Yea, I can here the fuel pump kick in.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, go ahead and do the starting fluid trick anyway when it won't start. If it start's for a second with the fluid then you know you still have a fuel problem.BTW,when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If you've got water and that's the problem .... You'll need a few bottles of line dry. It wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner in either.

This may give you a clue as well ....http://www.beasst.org/tech/Air_Pump.htm

13. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

You may also want to check into an engine heater. I know they are only $50 when you purchase a new vehicle, I'm not sure how much it would be to put one in if you take it to your local chevy dealer, but those can always help. But i'm not sure if it will work in a real small truck like yours.

14. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

does sound like your having a fuel problem, have you changed the fuel filter ? if you have water in the fuel that will ice up really quick

Jeff

15. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

The fuel filter has never been changed, to my knowledge. We bought the truck 5 years ago, with 11k on it.

Where would the fuel filter be located at?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

5 years and you've never changed it I'd say it's time to do it now! LOL! The filter's located on the inside of the frame rail right under the driver's door.

17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel filter and dry gas....

I replace my fuel filters every fall and I run a bottle of dry gas with every fill up during the winter...
    I agree with the others would be a good place to start.....

18. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

K, I'll look for it tomorrow.

Maybe we'll get some snow! So I can pay for this fuel filter.Lol

19. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I would not change the fuel filter if you are not familiar with vehicles. Let a garage do it for you. Some have standard nut fittings and some have special release couplers on them. If you crack the fuel line you will have a lot more problems. Maybe needs a tune up by now too. You might want to just take it in and have a full tuneup done.

20. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

right from the gm service dvd

Document ID# 570887
    2000 Chevrolet/Geo S10 Pickup - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In-Line Fuel Filter Replacement
    Removal Procedure
    Relieve the fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .
    Raise vehicle. Refer to

Caution
    To avoid any vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when major components are removed from the vehicle and the vehicle is supported by a hoist, support the vehicle with jack stands at the opposite end from which the components are being removed.

in General Information.

Remove the fuel filter quick-connect fittings. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar) .
    Remove the clamp bolt.
    Remove the filter and the clamp from the fuel pipes.

Remove the clamp from the filter.
    Installation Procedure

Notice
    Always re-attach the fuel lines and fuel filter with all original type fasteners and hardware.

Do not repair sections of fuel pipes.

Install the clamp to the fuel filter.
    Install the filter and clamp to the fuel pipes.
    Install the clamp bolt.

Install the fuel filter quick-connect fitting. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar) .
    Connect the negative battery cable.
    Lower vehicle.
    Inspect for fuel leaks through the following steps:
    Turn ON the ignition for two seconds.
    Turn OFF the ignition for ten seconds.
    Turn ON the ignition.
    Check for fuel leaks.