1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how full?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rocknrollrednec, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I'm arguing with my boss' about how much sand to put in our V box sanders, and also in our 1 ton dump beds with rollbar sanders.
    he fills them so full, that a chevy 1 ton chassis, with additional overload springs, is sitting on the bumpstops. and with our 1 ton dumpbed duallys, the duals are touching each other. E rated tires at 80 psi bulge like crazy. I wish I could get pics.
    with a Vbox, would you fill it level with the top? because these look like giant heaping tablespoons
    his argument is that we have a whole lot of sites, some of which are 45 minutes away...and he doesn't want to come back and fill up as often.
    but it has got to be a safety issue. duals touching probably creates uneccesary heat and stress on the sidewalls, right? and if a truck that overloaded has a tire blowout, at say 50mph...I figure that would make for a nasty accident.
    we argue about this each and every year.
    anybody out there have some solid info I can use to bolster my argument?
    Thanks

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i like to build little mountains on the top of my spreaders

3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

thats crazy. if he has that many accounts get a bigger truck! a 1 ton chevy with a flat bed weighs about 8000# empty. if theres a plow on it add another 1000 the spreader is at least 600#. The legal gvr is 12000# that leaves you 2400# of sand weight. thats not even a yard of sand 1 yard = 3ft x 3ft x 3ft.
    overloading causes extreme safety issues. do it legally and safely and charge enough so you can. your boss is either undercharging or pocketing money while putting you and the public at risk.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Wait till something happen all the extra money will be goneeeee.......!!

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Your boss sounds like a moron.

6. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yes, if the duals are touching it will cause additional heat build up in the tire especially if the truck is moving at a good speed.

I've seen rear duals exploded (sidewalls exploded) off of a truck that ran oversized (265mm width) tires that contacted under load. I wish I would have had a camera phone then.

Rear duals exploding at a high rate of speed on an overloaded vehicle definitely would not be a good thing.

I do agree that a bigger truck with 19.5 wheel and tires will be better for that load.....not to mention that the truck will most likely have larger brakes to better stop all that weight.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

if hes the boss...........he is the boss;)

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

True, but if he told you to jump off a bridge would you do it because he's the boss?

This guy is deficient with a major safety issue. snowman & DC make great points......

I hope he doesn't hurt of kill someone with this poor decision.

9. rocknrollrednec

well, it's a "public works" type of operation we've got. not for profit, government entity kind of deal. I guess I won't get more specific than that.
    we've got 3 of these V boxes, 6- 1 ton dumptrucks rollbar types, and 3 - 2.5 tons dumps with rollbars.
    we run around to about 75 or so, very large sites. it takes probably 7 hours, with all those trucks, to get it all done. and we can't buy any more trucks. in fact, our budgets have been cut significantly this year. ( executives probably decided who's budgets to cut, from a resort in hawaii:rolleyes:)

is there some type of "official guidelines" to follow? or even government regulations?
    because I can argue my points all day long...but until I can upgrade it all from "my opinion" to FACT, I'm just fartin in the wind.

I appreciate the help...I'm still a bit ignorant about computers, and all that goes with 'em.

and JDiepstra...took the words right outta my mouth

10. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Around here if dept of motor vehicle inspector sees duallys touching your getting pulled over and going on a weight scale .

11. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I hate to say this but, He is the boss. He wants to run his trucks like that let him, his insurance his liability and his profits. If you are driving it you don't have to overload it. But at the end of the day its his show, and if you don't like it maybe its not the place to be. There have been times when working for someone I have done things in the manor they wanted which wasn't the brightest but that's what they were paying me to do. When I clock in I realize that I am their pawn for that time period.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

if jumping of a bridge is part of the job then i guess he would have to decide to do his job or quit:D

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's a cop out.

Say that all you want here, but if you cause an accident and hurt an innocent person.....as the operator or driver you will be culpable (whether your boss told you to do something stupid or not). You have a responsibility for public safety, like it or not.

14. rocknrollrednec

well, it's resolved. after one strategically placed email...he rolled over real fast and now the V's are loaded flush with the top of the box, and the dumpbeds are a little over 1/2 as loaded as they were. much better, but I'd still like to get 'em on a scale and see how much they actually weigh.
    Thanks guys! take care out there! :drinkup:
    Dan:cool:

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Are you in good with any cops who have the ability to cite you for several violations without telling your boss that you set him up?

Of course these would have to be violations that your "company" would be liable for, and not you.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

oh , i forgot to add, extra high sides, plus the little moutain....so tall that its colder on the top of the pile. ..... but never to the point of rear duals touching but very very close

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ford6.9 View Post
    I hate to say this but, He is the boss. He wants to run his trucks like that let him, his insurance his liability and his profits. If you are driving it you don't have to overload it. But at the end of the day its his show, and if you don't like it maybe its not the place to be. There have been times when working for someone I have done things in the manor they wanted which wasn't the brightest but that's what they were paying me to do. When I clock in I realize that I am their pawn for that time period.
    That's a cop out.

Say that all you want here, but if you cause an accident and hurt an innocent person.....as the operator or driver you will be culpable (whether your boss told you to do something stupid or not). You have a responsibility for public safety, like it or not.[/QUOTE]

". If you are driving it you don't have to overload it." Reread my post. But what I said is true whether you like it or not.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Well said........lol :drinkup:

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

plus the mexican with shovels adding more as we drive along

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I fill mine to the top plus a little more on top. 3/4 ton carries it just fine.