1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How fast you can you spread salt or de-icer?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Weeded!, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Do you look for how fast your spreader can get salt or de-icer on a lot?

We have a number of 100K to to 900K ft lots and I am looking to get the material down as fast as possible and get on to the next location.

Any information you can share would be great...

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

it sdepends on the truck, we have several "city sized salt trucks that can really "dish out " the salt .. it i turn up the aiuger and spinner it can spread a path 60 -80 wide .of course you can't do that with car/people in the lot or you will be arrested for what we can machine gunning folks

3. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

So how much salt can you put out how fast (how many minutes per ton?).

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Any size spreader is going to put down 100 pounds of salt pretty quickly. The lot though is want determines how fast you can spread salt. Depends on obstacales, cars, and so on. I understand the thought process of getting in and out quickly, but you have to remember it's not a race. Accidents are much harder to avoid when you are rushed all the time trying to move to the next lot. If you feel you need to get in and out that quickly you need to get more equipment, and more operaters. I am not in any way saying you should take your time and slack off, but in a large snow storm that last for 12 to 24 hours, if your rushed to get through your lots normally, you are going to be accident bound since you will be there for 30 to 36 hours straight.

5. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I appreciate the concern, but the advice is off target.

If I drive an average of 3 miles per hour through a large lot I can cover 493,000 square feet of area with a 30 ft wide spread. 4 MPH would be 657,000 sq feet per hour. Still reasonable speed. I am looking to spread de-icer at these speeds without having to double and triple back.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

about salt and sand

You have to understand that its not the spreader or the forward speed..

Its how accurately the spreader is calibrated which is the measured discharge over time
    consumed to discharge the material..

If you have a spinner spreader its discharging as fast as it can rotate as long as power is applied to the spinner (with a regulating gate on the hopper iif it has one)

What you have to do is buy a card board box large enough to capture the material coming out of the spreader and weigh it while itis discharging over a one minute period and then you can determine the application rate per acre.

The issue of vehicles on the lots is the other issue that affects spreading rates
    as the automobiles will reduce the square area of coverage.

The problem with large spinner spreaders is they waste material even with the shrouds as salt is inconsistant in volume and due to the weight of the salt dust fines which may be
    up to thirty percent of the total weight.

Solar salt does not have this problem as it is washed with a salt water bath rinse to remove the dust and fines.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You can pick your speed and set your spreader accordingly. Open the gate more if you want more to come out. If you have a hydraulic spreader you should be able to change the auger and spinner speeds separately. If you have a gas spreader then the auger and spinner are on one switch. To spread more salt you open the gate. So if you want to drive 10 MPH then open the gate all the way. I would think you could spread 1 ton of salt with the gate open all the way in 10 minutes.

8. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Pretty close. I would advise taking the spinner off, place a garbage can, box, bucket, or whatever to catch the salt under the spreader and run it at the different speeds for 1 minute each weighing after each. Don't forget to weigh the container empty first and subtract! Once you calibrate the spreader, you can figure out how much you wanna salt per acre and adjust your truck speed accordingly to each level. SIMA had a good class on this this year!

9. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I am not sure I was clear

I know the the rates at which de-icer comes out of my spreaders.

What I am looking to do is get it to be spread quicker.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How can you get it any quicker then the fastest it comes out of your spreader? Or can you not drive fast enough to spread it at your fastest rate.

11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Step on the gas

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:dizzy:..........

13. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

at a good 5 - 7 mile an hour pace with the auger up and the spinner at half speed to lay a thick amount per square foot with a average 2 car lane i can lay about 3 tons in under 15 minutes... but that doesn't help if i have to stop and go and re load and start again, a good medium to fast pace auger with a medium speed spinner will allow me to cover more acreage / product spread ratio instead of dumping it all out as fast as possible and not being able to cover your complete site. You have to match your forward speed with the amount of salt per lb or amount that is coming out, i could drive 30 but if my auger cant keep up with that then it does me no good, focus on product thickness at a good melting speed so you dont have to waste your time and re salt again if your not getting paid for it

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Maybe he is asking which spreaders dump it out the fastest? Like Hydraulic, gas, electric, tailgate, etc...?

15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Spread quicker? Increase the speed of the spinner?
    Increase volume to the spinner?-- If its a v-box you would have to change the gear ratio of the gear box to make the conveyor chain run faster.

So you want to be able to drive faster and lay more salt down?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  16. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Yes. I really don't need to drive that faster, but I need to lay more salt /de-icer quicker.

I would like to know what spreaders put out the quickest, and has anyone ever modified anything (specifically a tailgate spreader) to get out more material per minute.

17. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

What make/model are you looking to modify? I think more or less v-boxes are v-boxes no matter the brand, and would be modified in the same ways. I could tell you how to do that to the 3 point model I have on the Kubota. So, post the make model and maybe someone familiar with it can give you some suggestions?

18. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I have to buy some new equipment this year.
    We ONLY spread with bags as we do not have enough events in this area to do bulk.

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Man if you are only going to drive 3 or 4 mph, why do you want to know how you can dump as much salt as possible? Are you charging by the ton or what? At the speed, it doesn't matter if you can dump out a ton of salt... it's still going to take you the same amount of time to do the lot if you are going to drive the same speed. All you will be doing is putting down a heavier layer of salt, probably wastefully.

20. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

double :dizzy::dizzy: