1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Fast does a track loader clear snow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KCLawnTamer, Dec 10, 2008.

1. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

I am buying a Tekuechi TL150 and was wondering how many square feet I could clear per hour with a 12' box??? I was thinking of going with the Artic sectional.. If anyone has this set up or atleast the loader how do you like it??? prsport

2. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I Have a Cat 287B track drive,, appx 10,000 lbs and 80+ HP we use a 11' Blizzard plow and some times a 10" snow box.. My Main operator for this machine said not to get him any thing larger than a 10' Box, ( I wanted a 14' or larger ) Machine works great !! Wish it was a 2 speed!!!!!!! most of the time this is working at a Target Store with 400+ parking spots and
    we are doing long pushes,,, shorter pushes you might be able to use a larger box, Good luck

3. SGC08

SGC08 Member

The Cat will plow much better because of the tread on its tracks. I have a TL130 and it is tractionally challenged in the snow. It's OK but nowhere near as goos as the ASV or Cat machines.

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have yet to see a tracked machine here in Wisconsin plowing snow. If anyone uses one around Milwaukee, let me know? Last season a buddy of mine used a JD tracked skid for a temp. fill in machine and he said it Sucked compared to a wheeled skid. Just slips all over. Buy one with tires if you're big into snow.

5. SGC08

SGC08 Member

If I remember correctly, the JD CTLs have the same track design as the Takeuchi, an open tread with large solid lugs that alternate along the length of the track. This does poorly in the snow but the design that Cat uses gets good traction.

We don't use our Takeuchi for plowing, only a little clean up around our shop and for loading salt and anti-skid. If I was going to use it for snow, I would put a different tread on it.

We called Bridgestone the other day and they have a replacement sprocket for the TL130, TL140, and TL150 that allows you to use other style tracks, including their polartread tracks, which I would think would get decent traction.

If anyone has tried the Polartread tracks, I would love to hear how they work.

6. snow white

snow white Member

the cat and asv are great in snow but bobcat and others used a excavator style track which suck u need the ribbed groomer syle tracks

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As stated above about the tracks, and there is no way a TL150 will handle a 12' box.

8. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I have a mustang MTL120 witch is the same as a tac TL130 and its sucks in the snow I have a hard time with my 8' bucket,Now my old cat 236 with foam filled tires...you can't stop it

9. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

That's what I was gonna chime in with... night and day difference between the tracks

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Its funny. We sit here and respond to all these posts about "Can my CTL push snow" The response is always the same. Yet the question keeps getting asked.

So to awnser the question. No. Your Tak won't handle a large box. You will be lucky to push your stock bucket in the snow.

Its not your machine, its the tracks. It doesn't matter how big or bad your machine is, if the tracks don't hook up, you won't be able to do a thing.

You could look into those polar tracks, but if you are getting a new machine you might be able to get something else that will be a true 4 season tool.

J.

11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't want to be the first today telling someone that a tracked tak can't push much. Last night I was pushing a 12 ft. box in about 6-8" with our New Holland TV145 and even that was sliding around. I'm sure guys that run larger loaders with 14 ft and larger box plows will tell you the same. So how you think a TL150 could push a 10 ft. or larger box is beyond me?

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I said his machine couldn't do it. I have ASV's and my machines CAN!!! Its all in the tracks and choice of machine.

I am realistic about it though. 10ft Artics. Nothing bigger, but I could maybe push a 12ft on short pushes.

I only have trouble on snow covered ice, But so does everybody else.

J.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

Everyone list there 12 boxes to be able to be pushed with a track loader with 95+horse.. The TL150 is 105 horsepower.. I would be fine with a 10 fot box or would the machine work better with a blizzard 8611 for the skid???

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would worry about the tracks tearing up the pavement, unless you get some inserts that cover the steel tracks.
    i have never seen a track loader push snow but with all that weight and traction i bet it would be unstoppable.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Steel? It's a skidsteer...............rubber tracks.

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

ooopppss, the OP said track loader, which has steel tracks and wight like 20,000+ lbs, not a skid steer.

17. stauffer.80

stauffer.80 Junior Member

Our track loader- skidsteer isn't worth crap in the snow on a paved surface. I tried it last winter, and it would hardly fill the stock bucket when driving into a pile of snow. Secondly, I wouldn't want to wear down the tracks because I heard they are about $3000 each to replace.

18. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

It's all in the tracks. I have a 267B CAT CTL that we have a 10' avalanche pusher on and we never get stuck or have problems, unstopable. I also have a JD CT322 CTL and that thing is worthless in the snow b/c of the lug/alternating like and excavator type tread, so we don't use that other than to load salt and for landscaping. It's all in the tracks.

19. jason t.

jason t. Member

My local Bobcat dealer told me not only do tracks suck in the snow, you have to replace them about every 1000 hrs. regardless, I would assume sooner if sliding all over the pavement. If you disagree, don't blame me, I have b=never ran tracks in the snow, just what I was told,

20. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

We just picked up a TL150 last month, and have an 8' box on order. Figured, if it was effective at all, an 8' box is better than no box. I was planning on switching tracks out for the Polar Tread by Bridgestone, but they there rep told be they are not avvailable for this machine.

Does anyone have any good alternatives for winter tracks?