1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How fast can you go

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ticki2, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

How fast can you plow roads and still see out the windshield ? What have you guy's come up with that works ?

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

A snowfoil, or the snow deflector works well.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry how fast more like how fast you'll stop if you hit something.:eek:

4. Quality SR

Your right, i would hate to hit a crack or a manhole cover doing 40.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think I still have that bump on my head from a few years ago!:dizzy:

6. Quality SR

I bet you do. Next time wipe your head with Fluid Flim, this way when your head hits the steering wheel it will just slide right off

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That bump really slows you down. Wear your seatbelt. LOL

8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Well , sorry to here that , hope you have a full recovery . BTW , how fast were you going when you hit and was the windshield full of snow?

9. Quality SR

Knowing Grandview he was doing 75

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

If you know your ground...you can get going pretty quick...Thats all I'm gonna say...LOL:jester: I REALLY need a Sno-Foil for my Fisher...LOL
    BTW...X-ray vision to see through the snow covered windshield helps...LOL

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  11. earl964

earl964 Member

I was doing 35 mph hit a raised man hole cover and ended up breaking my nose . If you are going to drive fast make sure you know whats under the snow.

12. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I know the roads pretty good , been doing the same ones for 5 years . Not trying to do 40 . I have a 9' fisher with snow foil , had the rubber flap on for awhile but saw no advantage . On a first pass all I can do is about 15mph before the spray is covering the windshield . If I could do 20 it would be a 25% improvement. Two of the roads are 2mi , new pavement and no MH ( that's for you city guys). Was thinking of an air foil but don't want to fill the grill with snow either. I appreciate all the safety warnings and I promise I'll be carefull . Now back to the plow.

13. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

see the question is if your plowing for the city or town why plow fast?

your getting paid by the hour xysportxysport

and if got a foil on my blade, works pissa till you start doing a ****** road and it fills with hard packed snow and the tripedge wont trip back.....just found out about fluid film when i found this site and wouldnt ya know since i put it on the blade it hasnt snowed :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

14. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

True , don't always want to rush it . There are times when I need to , like when you're getting 2" per hour .Two of my roads are private , plus I need to keep some other clients open at the same time , you know how that goes . It would just be an advantage to me to have the flexibility. I might even get to take a break , I'm pretty much staight out when it snows,like most of Dec..Then there is also that little extra time to fix something along the way.

15. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Imagine how many broken noses would be on this site if there was no such thing as trip edges or trip blades....

16. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

When I plow, I drive anywhere between 5 and 20 MPH, I have found that anything over 15 though, and I feel out of control, of course this could be because most of my roads are intown, however, when you hit a curb it hurts. The state only has thier driver go between 15 and 17 miles an hour, and thier mechanics can tell when they go faster cause they are in the shop broken down. I also think my roads clean up better when I go slow. But I have found that over 25 the snow comes over my Frink Dustpan. Thats my thought.

17. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

i plow 15 tops when doing roads:dizzy:

18. big bird

big bird Senior Member

iam payed by the hour not by the job 2 nice big lots take it nice and slow thats how you do it the milk man here to plow ur lot payuppayupxysport

19. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Your client's a fool.

20. big bird

big bird Senior Member

no iam not a fool its benderson dev pay by the hr they want to see black top i give them black top payup payup