1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how fast can u GO,tractor blower speed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by moose02, Jan 5, 2010.

1. moose02

moose02 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Were looking at expanding into the subdivision world. Currently we mainly do rural driveways and some commercial stuff. How many driveways are guys hitting using a tractor with a front blower set up? (say 40hp or similar) My biggest concern is the Number of driveways we can hit in a day. If we go into this It will be based on a lower$$$ and volume, in our area everyone has plows and we all seem to leave the subdivisions to fend for the self's do to snow placement. (us included) Most these driveways would be 2cars long and 2 car lengths long.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, Im still looking at doing this for the current year, if were able to have a lower plow price im sure we can snag a lot of costumers. Price would be key, cheap enough they cant refuse and work on volume

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Neige should have an answer to that. I would have to think if you could get your drives close enough you could service at least 150 drives in a 10 hour span without to much hassle.

3. RdTeK

RdTeK Member

Most of the snow removal I do is in sub-divisions; the driveways for the most part are 70-90 feet I'm guessing, some are shorter and range from single width to double; the key is to get as many in an area as you can. I use a JD 6430 (100hp) tractor with a 92" blower, mounted on the 3-pt hitch though. Tractor/blower setups are the most popular around here with plowtucks mostly doing parking lots and businesses. I have around 135 driveways...with a normal snowfall say 4-6", I can get through them in 4 hours tops, no problem...even with heavier snow, the time is roughly the same since with the blower you never run out of room to put snow as you can with a plow truck and a bad winter. Here is my setup:

IMG_8632.jpg

4. moose02

moose02 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hmm a 135? I'm hoping were not to far into the season for this, however we've only had about 2 snow events to get us doing our driveways slow year so far.

I think what we are going to do is canvas the subdivisions and see what we can muster up, if we could pick up somewhere in the 80 mark id make a purchase. The problem is giving people a price they cant refuse and work in bulk numbers.

The average in town driveway here goes for $20-25 a hit with a plow, I want to cut that in half 12 bucks a hit possibly. I will tick every contractor i know off in the area but ill be looking at bulk in town. Our main focus as a business in Landscape Construction and snow has been something that allows us to build our costumer base.

On average if we had 100 driveway that's $1200 take away your cost $200 labour, $50 fuel? we pay Insurance all ready regardless, easy figuring, $900 take away per event. After Repairs, misc your not doing that great, much better money in trucks. But I see the market for commercial and plowing is saturated and nobody really goes for the small subdivisions & we will still have our current routes. (on average we likely have 15-18 res snow events)

What do you all think? your input is greatly appreciated

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

thoughts....

I understand the logic of killing the price to attract customers, but why by half? when you leave your business no safety margin in the event of fuel price sky rocketing or equipment failures, insurance increases, what happens then? you have to fold and ruin your name, cause major headaches to 80+ people... go to $15, $5 bucks saved and you still have profit to cover those bad times.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower tractor units

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================

my compliments on the John deere and the pronovost snow blower

7. moose02

moose02 Junior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with the $15 bucks a hit but is that to much to entice folks to bite? I trying to think of a way we can get large volume fast.

8. RdTeK

RdTeK Member

I can understand where you're coming from with building a customer base, but you gotta have a profit at the end of the day as well; you shouldn't have any problems getting work with a $20 rate; customers might be suspicious too of a price that's almost 1/2 of the going rate. The going rates here are roughly $300 for a season contract....any snowfall over 2"...per the trip is $20-$25. If people are getting the service they're paying for, price doesn't matter.

9. leon

leon Senior Member

tractor and snow blower

You could lease a large tractor with an all season cab and buy a Pronovost PXPX-75 snowblower
    and you will be able to cover a huge area quickly in a short time and scrape the drive ways clean as well
    The wider PXPL-75 will clean a drive way in much less time and if the snow fall is not very heavy very
    quickly as well. the smaller PXPL-50 would take longer to do it.

Many municipalities charge a flat rate per year to clean residential sidewalks and charge through the tax bill
    for the service-as they are out cleaning snow anyway on city properties
    using the square footage of area and the speed of a municipal sidewalk cleaning machine to base the cost
    of cleaning for the season as they are out plowing and cleaning city owned sidewalks.

Offering a monthly charge for snow removal may be a more atractive way to find business with residential customers
    on an on call basis would be a better marketing tool. The larger blower would allow you to gain more income cleaning
    large lots as youu will be able to scrape the pavement with the blade and clear the snow fall at the same time.
    The cost per day of ownership of the snow blower(buying) and the monthly cost of the lease payment(with prepaid
    maintenance factored in with the dealer for the year of the tractor will determine
    your break even costs to determine a per month break even charge and spreading it over several hundred potential customers and "on call" customers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I'd go $20 per driveway & show them pics of what it would look like when a truck does it & what it would look like with a blower. Should be an easy sell I would think. Just an FYI, your plan you posted is going to put the anti low ballers brigade up your rear orifice here shortly... Go With God...:angel:

11. moose02

moose02 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for all the post, So were gonna go door to door and leave basic ad.(cheesy print out) Were going to price very aggressively and see what happens. Will explain briefly that we need xx amount of people to make it fly in order to provide a quality reliable service. If we can hit somewhere in the 70 mark then will go ahead. I have a machine lined up so will see what happens. Ill keep you posted:gunsfiring:

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Does Snowblower have trip if hit those bump on cement driveway?

I couldn't moving above 2 mph without trip snowblower and stop tractor fast. It mount on front of tractor. Our sidewalk and driveways have lot gap where your plow would trip easy.

13. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

With your pricing I don't think you will be making much at the end of the season when you take into account that you have to pay for a $60,000 tractor/blower combo. You said you only had 2 snow events so far this year, you would still have to make equipment payments.