1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you drive to plow snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Super Mech, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

I took on a job plowing snow about 15 miles from my home. Its road plowing of narrow streets in residential/industrial neighborhoods. Have to go over a bridge and drive on a beat up expressway that I don't think they ever finish construction on. The money seems good to me compared to what I have been doing the last 13 winters. How far have you traveled?

2. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

We travel about 20 miles to plow a lowes in our area its the farthest I would travel and the money has to be right

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Once had a job 15 miles away, could plow it after all my other jobs though. Now I won't drive more than a mile. As time goes by I just fill in jobs close to one another. Dropped 2 300$ lots this year, everybody complained about having to drive 8 miles! These were lots that didn't have to be done until evening and weekends. But you have to examine your own situation and see if it works for you.

4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We go from the east side to the west side i'd say 25 miles, but once there 6 lots within 10 minutes

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I drive exactly 30 miles one way to where my two large lots are. Then everything else is within a few miles of them.

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I go 12 miles away to do my grandmothers house, the rest are within 3 miles of my house

7. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How much are you willing to pay me? I only plow one place but its about 25 miles away

8. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

We have 2 that are 42 miles away, 1 that is 34 miles & numerous in a 20 mile radius. With no subs meaning we have some of our own employees at every site. I do hire subs but not hiring to service a customer by themselves. Now we don't service a site that is smaller that 9 acres. Mainly distribution centers.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. vlc

vlc Senior Member

My furthest is only 6 miles. But i do mostly driveways. I only have 6 smaller parking lots, 3 private roads, and about 70 driveways. If I was bidding on larger lots, that would change things.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ten mile half radius to the north is all we go.

11. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

We drive 45 mins one way to plow a Petro truck stop. Have a loader there but still drive trucks too. Love it!

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Go as far as you want to make good money, there is no right or wrong answer

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I keep my jobs all within 15 mins of the shop. There is plenty of work here already... may change over time as we expand though, but I like a tight route--drive time doesn't earn any money!

14. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

For those that due travel to plow, do you charge an amount per mile if its outside the city limits, or your "defined inner circle or area"?

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

10.4 miles

I do a church parking area and sidewalks. Not wanting to go any further away unless I can make much more than the current rate

16. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I drive 12 miles to my furthest commercial account.

17. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I travel up to 40km(25milish) I dont charge per km for plowing, just add in extra$ for travel time/gas Example: $50 lot, thats 15min(20km) away I'd tell them $65 per visit, or account for travel in your seasonal bid.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We cover from the Wisconsin state line and into NW Indiana. Its not uncommon to drive (paid) 80/100 miles. Most of my area is 15 miles.

19. bakerproperty

bakerproperty Junior Member

I will go a where somebody wants to send me if the money is good and there plenty of white gold to keep me busy for a few days..

20. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

Most of our work is within 10 minutes of our shop. Unless it's a big industrial contract, I wont go over 15 miles away. No need to unless the money is really really good...