1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far will you drive to get to your next account

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOW ME OVER, Jan 11, 2005.

1. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Alright guys let me know how far you will drive to your next plowing account or how far from your shop or house will you travel to drop the blade.

The reason that I am asking is becuase this is my first year plowing and was offered a HOA account in a smaller neighborhood. It has one main road going in and then loops around and connects back up again with 5 cul de sacs off of it. I was told that it usually only takes about 2 hours to clear but the last guy was charging out 3 to 4 hours to help include a little travel time but he was local to this place. I am about 20 miles away from this neighborhood and in normal driving it takes about 40 to 50 minutes to get to depending on traffic, so I can only imagine how long it will take to get there with some snow on the ground.

If I do bid this job it will be at $95.00 to $100.00 with a 2 hour minimum per trip but I dont want to get cought stretching myself two damn thin. You can only be in so many places at once.

So how far will you drive to make some money???

2. daninline

daninline Senior Member

My route is 60 miles long takes me about 5 to 6 hours to do but for $700 for 20 accounts I think it's worth the drive.

Around here I'm lucky to have any that are right next to each other most are miles apart but the rate for the drive is not bad as long as the back roads are open.

So if you get good at it you could cut it down to less then 2 hours.
    But who is saying it can be done in 2 hours the account or you?
    if it's them then I would say it's a 3 hour lot, I hate it when they tell you how long it will take if they were that good then they should be in the truck :dizzy:

This is my 1st year doing more then 2 or 3 accounts.
    Here comes the snow :bluebounc

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Ask yourself this: what does a 40 -50 min normal traffic travel time translate to in a storm? It could be 2 hrs and you may fail your client. While your positive work may go unnoticed, one screw up and everybody hears about it.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It looks like you're in a suburban or urban area. I'd say if they are hiring someone from 20 miles away, there is something wrong. Especially since you're in your first year of plowing. An association that size should be looking for experienced plow companies with references. Believe me, I'm not putting you down at all. But save yourself a lot of grief and pass on that one till you've got some experience. They'll run you ragged.

Besides, from your description, I'd say it should be more like $4-500. Plus salt.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

That 20 miles could seem like 4 hours if there was a bad storm. I don't bid anything over 5 miles from my front door.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

All my regulars are within 4 miles of my house, most are under 2. I will travel on occasion (in big storms) for family members if need be AFTER the storm is fully ended and my regulars are all set. The last thing i need is trying to get some place 20 miles away in the height of a snowstorm.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Although, Razorman did drive 90 miles to help me last week in that bad storm we had so if he was in a bind, I would be more than happy to help him in return. :nod:

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I have 2 Apartment complexes that pay me 3 hrs. each and 2 hrs. ea. for sidewalks that I drive 22 miles to...that's $720 for plowing and 100 for sidewalks...worth it to me.(2 Trucks)

9. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Yeah guys I think that I am going to go with my gut feeling on this one and pass it up. I was told by the contractor for the last couple of years that it is about a two hour job but that still does not make up for the time that I would most likely be sitting in the truck try to just get there. Although I would have more time to listen to my new Sirius satelite radio, but it is not making me any money just makes the time that I do spend in the truck more enjoyable.

Thanks for the replies. I think that I will just print up some fliers and pass them out in the residential areas that I want to get into a couple days before it snows.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

i dropped one that was 8 miles away too far like to keep all mt accounts in 5 mile radius of my shop. I do do some Relocation houses for a Realtor and travel 25 miles but that the day after the storm and they get charged 2x my normal rate.

11. cc2004

cc2004 Member

One of our commercial properties is about a 30 to 45 minutes away.
    It's really big and we make excellent money but,it's still a pain to drive all that way.
    Our residentials are so close that you do not have time to finish a smoke.