1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how far will this spreader throw salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bcbrouwer, Sep 11, 2013.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

I might be looking at this ex town truck. spinner is on left hand side between the front and rear tires. would it have comparable throwing range to a v-box or undergate spreader? Would it get any salt to the right of the truck or only to the left?

I will be using it for parking lots. Would I be better off looking for a rear mounted spinner? Thanks for those with experience and knowledge in this matter

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I believe JDDave on here runs a truck with a mid mount spinner. Hopefully he will chime in for ya.
  3. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

Here is another pic. Haven`t really figured out if it would be good for parking lots. Guy selling it is 3 hours away and doesn't know himself how far it will spread salt. Anyone have any experience with these types of salters?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Those are really only designed to spread to the left and the left tire drives the salt into the ice. They don't really spread to the right for obvious reasons
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How far do you want it to spread? Mid mount spreaders are great for doing sidewalks and blowing under trailers and between cars. We put directional poly spinners on ours and set the drop chute so we minimize the amount of salt going under the truck as the salt acts like a sand blaster hammering the truck all night. A rear mount spreader will have a better spread pattern but I do prefer to drive a midmount. They will spread 20ft with the proper spinner, maybe even further.
  6. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Just went and set up my father's old rig for something to do, with a little adjustment got it to 23ft.
    All trucks are different, spinner, PTO, and amount of material are all factors.
    They really aren't meant to spread far, just a little to the right and most to the left to get the center of the road. They are great for sidewalks and small lots though.