1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far will 1 CY of sand get me?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by segbert, May 10, 2016.

1. segbert

segbert Junior Member

Good afternoon folks, I have been tasked with purchasing a new V-Box sand spreader.

I am lost when it comes to this, as we dont do much of it down in central Texas.

Does anyone have any formulas on how far sand will go, I'm trying to determine the size of spreader I want to purchase.

Also feel free to provide input on Swenson, and Henderson spreaders, I'm looking at these with the pony motor so I wont have to rely on one truck for the use. right now the smallest spreader im looking at is about 8CY

Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's this for?
    Private, city?
    What truck is this going on?

3. segbert

segbert Junior Member

City use, This will be a slide in unit for our dump beds.

4. dieselss

What size truck?
    Is it equipped with central hydraulics?

Would an under tailgate spreader work?

5. segbert

segbert Junior Member

15cy tandem, the reason I didn't want to go hydraulic, is so I don't have to rely on one truck to run the spreader.

6. segbert

segbert Junior Member

Like I said, I'm new to this world. The only reason im making the purchase is mainly for safety reasons. We usually load up a flat bed trailer with sand, and have two guys on the back with shovels. I've talked to the city of Austin who just purchased a few Epoke tow-behind spreaders, and they said if they did it again that they would go with the slide-in V-Boxes. Feel free to throw suggestions, I'm all ears

7. dieselss

Unless you plan on not securing the wiring for the Salter and just running it "loose" then your going to have a dedicated salt truck.
    I was never a fan of the pony motor salters, we had 3, and after the first year they continually had issues. I pushed to get them replaced with electric ones.
    Our one big international had a hydraulic u.t.s. and other then then hydro connectors, it never gave us issues.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

The problem with gas engine units. The end of the season it gets parked and ignored like a red headed step child. Then when you need it, it requires repairs. Hydraulic units may need a hose end, but that's about it.

9. segbert

segbert Junior Member

any on have any idea of how far I can go while spreading sand?

I.E. 1cy= ??SF

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How thick do you want to spread it?

Try this:

http://www.sandgraveldepot.com/calc.php

Numbers seem really high, I'm showing almost 16 yards to cover a 10' wide lane, 1 mile long at 1/10" thick. Probably right, though.

You wouldn't spread it solid for the entire mile though.

But it's a start.