1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far to wear down cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cycleman, Feb 14, 2014.

1. cycleman

cycleman Junior Member

I have the HT plow with 1/2" cutting edge. The cutting edge has now worn down so the bottom is even with the bottom of the trip plate. I measured and see that I still have 1 3/8" of wear IF I wear it, and the trip edge down evenly to where the center of the bolt head is the same distance from the top and bottom of the cutting edge. Is that what I am suppose to do before changing cutting edge? I don't want to wear down the trip plate too much but is seems a waste of cutting edge steel to have to change it when it wears down even to the trip plate bottom. New plow so the trip plate is original. I hope this makes sense to understand.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Idk how big an edge for a HT series is but on our HD plows we wear the trip edge down to about an inch or so from the bottom of the bolt holes then put new edges on. I should probably change them a little sooner but I haven't had any issues with them yet. I'd say it's probably time for a change on your plow.

3. cycleman

cycleman Junior Member

That would be about right to have center head of bolt in center from top to bottom of what is left of cutting edge.

4. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would change the edge now, get a new one in and wear it in a bit. I would also see if you can put a 5/8'' edge on it, a little added weight will make it scrape a bit better. I got a 1/2'' edge on my SD, once that is gone, I'm throwing a 5/8'' on it