1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far is too far???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

How far is too far to run in a skid loader and pusher? The reason I ask is I called the property manager for a 3 acre parking lot today and she said they were taking bids for this winter. I have 1 lot (2.5 acres) 1.3 miles away, and 2 smaller ones inbetween. I have been thinking about adding a skid loader and think this might work. Without much trouble I could add 2 or 3 more smaller accounts near by, plus I can store salt on the site.

Also how much faster does an 8' pusher work than an 9' V plow?

Thanks BOSSMAN
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Only if you had a 2 speed skid steer, You will loose too much time driving site to site. Also a 8' protech will out push a 9' V plow. Last season we has 1 NH 180 with a 8.5' V plow and the guys with smaller skid steers pushing 8' protechs where running circles around him.
  3. Bossman 92

I ment the 9' V plow on the front of a truck. I don't know if you ment that or not.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

By my math, even a single speed SS will take about 10 minutes to go the 1.3 miles if the travel speed is 8 MPH. And you say you have 2 lots in between, so even 10 minutes will be broken up.

So if you add that into the fact that the SS will be far more productive than the truck--according to itsgottabegreen--you will be time ahead which equals money ahead. Your efficiency will make up for the small amount of added travel time.

IF you already own it, put it to work and make some money with it.
  5. Bossman 92

Thats the thing Mark, I don't own it already. I need one to load bulk salt with, and figured I could also plow with it. Thanks for the replys. Bossman