1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How far is too far to drive to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks to SIMA I got an awesome call from a landscape management company, asking me to bid 6 lots up my way.

OK cool, the good part is 3 properties are side by side then 20 minutes east the other 3 properties are side by side

However, from my shop, they are 30 minutes to the site on a good day, no traffic, we all know driving slows down in a snowstorm.

How far is too far to drive, it would be about a 45 minute drive in a storm?

Bids are all worked up, hoping for the best
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

hit up a few other properties right in the area there, make it a "route". Just make sure if the truck assigned breaks down you have the ways and means to get there and still get the jobs handled. we work that far from our shop, but we have multiple trucks that head out that way, so if something happens to one, a different one can pick up the slack.
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I've driven that far before.
    If the money is worth your while to do it, then go for it.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I would be sure to check references to make sure you even will get paid in the first place.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As others have said, if it's worth the money to you, go for it. We go about 15 minutes (on a good day) off our core service area to service a property owned by a long time customer that requested we specifically service it due to their satisfaction with our work on their other properties. It was bid a little higher to cover the drive time to make it worth it, and it works out for us, just have to avoid rush hour. A couple years ago we added some additional work in that area, so we have a decent route out there, which also makes it more worthwhile.

But 6 properties, request via SIMA, sounds a bit too good to be true. Definitely check up on the company that requested the bid before you work for them.
  6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

All of the plowing I do is more than a 30 min drive in good weather.... So as long as your making enough it is worth it.
  7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Some of them arent even worth it! As stated above a 20 min. ride on a good day can turn into an hour+ during a snowstorm! I have a buddy who used to do 50 Speedways. Speedway gas stations can only be Sooo close to each other. He was making some reasonable money but it took too long to get to the locations. Spent more time driving than plowing. Most places were about 20+ mins away on a good day! He lost the account due to the amount of money he charged them to make it worthwhile for him.

The farthest i go is 40 min. (good day) from my house. But this is only because i live 20 miles away from my biggest service area. So pretty much i do the 10-15 resi's by my house then shoot out to my "biggest service area" Stay out there most of the day then go back to my house hit the 10-15 resi's again and take a nap! they understand pretty well.
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

go high, sub them out if you get them. Don't waste your time driving there if it means you are going to spread yourself to thin.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Chances are they will go cheap so bid it to make your numbers & don't hold to much faith in getting it. In all the years we have bid work similiar to the senecio describe we don't have a high closing rate
  10. Beercan

Beercan Junior Member

I bid all my jobs 20 miles or less over 20 miles i charge more
  11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

1/2 hour drive is usually our max.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How much time will it take to plow the three lots? If it's four hours it's definitely worth the hour travel time. But if it's less than two hours probably not.
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I stick to a 15 mile radius from my shop. Any further than that, and I can't be competitive, so why waste time.