1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Far Is To Far?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sdplowing, Jul 28, 2009.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

I'm thinking about changing service areas but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. Where I'm plowing now people would rather pay with a six pack or have their mother's uncle's nephew plow it for free. Where I'm thinking of switching to there is plenty of money and plenty of homes. The concern I have is that this area is 50 min. from my house on a good day. I can however leave my plow there and I'm friends with a number of other contractors in that area. I want to know if there's anybody on here that works in a similar situation and how it works out for you.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a reliable person that is going to let you know when it is snowing and maybe somewhere you can stay so you can go early and enough clients to make it worth while then I would say try it. What would you do if you only ended up with minimal work. Sub it out, give it to someone you know or keep it?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the road like? Travel times on our rural back roads increase greatly in a storm due to traffic, and in Feb/Mar the frost heaves are brutal.

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

OK what is a frost heave?

Bossman

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes you have to go where the money is. Just plan on adding more time, get some of your own accounts and sub to someone in the area. This way your trip out will have some money attached to it. 50 minutes isn't the worse thing. Heck around here a normal trip may be 10-15 minutes in the snow and rush traffic that same drive could easily be 50-1:10.

6. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

My mother and brothers live in the area, so there's a place to nap and a garage for fixin.
    The road is actually being repaved as we speak. I travel the road every day for my current job. The longest it has ever taken me in a storm in 90 min.

They don't make frost heaves where you live?

7. Bossman 92

They don't make frost heaves where you live?

I am not sure what a frost heave is!

BTW, How do I copy what someone else has already typed???

Bossman

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You click the little button on the bottom that says quote. And a frost heave is when like the ground freezes and causes an upward movement of the ground surface. Pretty common in anywhere that gets snow...? I dont know... I guess only some places? :confused:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny.

Frost heaves are generally the result of poor road construction. Minimal gravel base, poor drainage. The moisture can't get out of the road base, and as the frost gets deeper and deeper it lifts large objects within the base. Culverts and boulders are the biggest problems.

In our state, we take old horse and buggy trails, put down 2 inches of hot top, and call it a road. The state even gives them numbers.

It's a disaster up here. We have to borrow money just to maintain :eek:our roads. And by maintain, I mean put down another 1 1/2 of hot top over the old broken up crap. I have my local senator in my cell phone. I call regularly to complain about the DOT:sleeping:. He said I am one of just a couple constituents that call frequently.

10. Bossman 92

I guess our roads arn't as bad as I thought! xysport

Bossman

11. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

After the days commute I feel like I've been shaken by a british nanny:dizzy:

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well it doesn't sound like your making any money where you are plowing now. So an hour or so drive to make money doesn't sound to bad. I would do it if I had to. Not really any different than commuting to work evey day. Many people do it.

Nice truck by the way!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  13. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

I'll tell the bank you like their truck.:D