1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Far From Your Shop/Home Do You Go To Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

From my house the farthest I have to go is 10 miles. But my closest driveway that I plow is less than 1 mile from my house.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My route "center point" is almost three miles from the house. From there I go seven miles in two separate directions, four miles in a third direction. Plus the church is five miles from the house in a fourth direction. It's not too bad early in the season, but by Feb/Mar the frost heaves are wicked and really slow you down.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have 100 driveways the closest paying customer is 0.1 miles and the furthest is 5.6 miles

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

30 inches for the first one 5.9 miles for the last one....all are up hill both ways. :D

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wherever pays. One decent sized lot we start with is about 4 miles away. Takes 4-5 of my trucks about 4 hours. From there I'll head about 15 miles southwest (usually with 1 other truck of mine) to spend the next few hours helping out with truck freight terminals, till I pull off (leaving my other truck and driver there) to head about 10 more miles straight west for about 2-3 hours, then about 5 more miles straight north for the last hour. From there its either home (about a 25 minute trip), or 12 or so miles back east to help finish a lot for about an hour or so. This is on an average 3" storm. From point A to point B driving time is NOT included, but from point B through the end, drive time IS included.

I can usually book 8-10 hours for the first 2 trucks and 4-5 for the rest per storm.

As for driving long distances, I like it.....as a sub. Drive time pays, and although I hussle no matter what, it's nice to book an hour or more drive time. I'm getting paid to get BETTER milage for that total hour and be able to work the truck LESS throughout the day.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Our furthest accounts are 24 miles from home base. Luckily, there are 4 large lots (not 24 hr businesses) and 1 medium condo complex. Priced to pay for the drive-time and well worth the trip.

The bulk of our accounts are within a 7 mile radius of home-base. Quite a few in Rockford but the are commercial lots and condos so the equipment is on site most of the event. 20 minute drive to the location and 4-5 hours in the area.

Closest account is .3 miles from base.

7. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

our closet is just across the road from the shop and our longest is 15 miles from our shop.

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

My closest is the shop we rent and have our equipment at :D that was an easy account to get and the farthest is only about 10 miles or so..

9. tinffx

tinffx Member

My salt pile was 15 miles from home and some of the lots I did were 10 miles from that. I subbed though and got paid from the time I answered the phone so it didn't bother me. 15 miles in rush hour around here takes a lonnnnng time.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

The furthest ones are probably about 20 miles away. Probably less. But that's what the route is like for my truck. My other truck has a route with the farthes house being probably about 5 miles away from my house. So, not to bad.

11. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i go about 15 miles 1 way to get to my large account the help has 1 large account and 7 other properties and there about 7 miles away, but on small ice control events i service them all so i go about 40 miles total

12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Last year had all my accounts within 5 miles of each other, except one. This one lot was 15 miles on the other side of the city. I am not talking 15 miles of driving down a country road, half the time driving out there and back was through stop and go traffic through the city on the freeway. I hated driving to that lot, but it was 40 minutes of plowing, $175 per plow, and $200 to salt. 2" trigger, and they wanted salt between pushes. Paid like clockwork, never questioned an invoice, they are great customers. Now if I could only get them to relocate to my side of town.........