1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how far does a 80lb bag of salt go i forget

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 94halftonchevy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 94halftonchevy

94halftonchevy Junior Member
    from se pa

anyone figure our the square foot coverage of an 80 lb bag of salt? i got out of doing commercial lots a few years ago due to my full time job being more demanding. i just got contacted to do a job less than five minutes from my house that i might not be able to pass up. i've kept some of my driveways in my area and have subed out as needed to a couple people, but i'm getting tired of flakey contractors that only want to call you out at a foot and their overwelmed or they don't call at all. would be nice to get some other plowing work of my own and forget about regular work for a little while. can't beat the money until something goes down and then you remember why you charge so much. anyone need help in bucks county pa? 01 2500 ram cummins 4x4 7'6'' western possible for sub. anyone have any suggestions for getting into municipal work? might need to upgrade to an 8'er but anything else worth noting? thanks:salute:

2. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

Kinda late season to be looking for or taking more work.

Iowa IDOT and several other post on here have alot of suggestions on how far salt goes. It depends on temperature and thickness. try 15 lb per 1000 sq ft. Seems to work for estimating. It will not cut the thickest of ice and only works to 15-20 DEGF. Good luck finding salt or ice melt for a reasonable price. The best I could find price/performance was Sam's mircle melt 50# bags.

Good luck

3. 94halftonchevy

94halftonchevy Junior Member
    from se pa

some times work just finds you. i didn't go looking for it. word of mouth travels fast when you know people that think highly of you even if you've never done work for them personally. i spent a lot of money getting into this business, spent a lot while in it trying to make it work and willing to give it another shot for next year because i just can't stand when someone tells you you're subing for them and then sit at home watching the snow come down. i do have some work of my own but not enough to not show up at my regular job that keeps me employed a steady 40 hours a week 12 months a year. just makes sense to be loyal.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The general figure for bagged salt to be effective in high teen to high twenties temps is around 20# per 1000 sq. ft.. Therefore, an 80# bag should do approx. 4000 sq. ft..
    As far as the DOT standards and recorded structures (for any state), these cannot be compared to parking lot salting, because salting a lane mile (and all of it's sq. footage) requires WAY less salt that a parking lot. This is due to the amount of traffic and flow on a road as compared to a lot. In MI., for instance, here in Genesee County, they are using the equivalent of approx. 4# per 1000.
    Incidentally, there is 63,360 sq. ft. in a lane mile. (Just a little tidbit of trivial information).:)

5. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

Good point on thje Idot info. Traffic helps. Busy lane does not require as much salt as parking spots. Sometimes I would like the steady 40 again but I think I;ll try thre self employed route a little longer.