1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How easy to break tubes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kc2006, Jan 21, 2009.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Question.

How easy is it to break hide away tubes that are already installed??

Everything worked fine with my truck, backed into a snow pile and the rears stopped for a few seconds but came back on. About a week later everything stopped after a few hours of plowing. Started unplugging one at a time and one out back was messed up. So i go out tonight and nothing again. Start unplugging and 2 more are messed up.

Do they seriously break this easy? I really don't want to have to buy a case of tubes to keep on hand.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have only hadone break on me and that was becasue I was stupid and backed into a pile. Never heard of them just breaking for no reason.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Something's going on. Maybe a wiring issue. I've ran strobes on trucks for about 8 years and never had to replace a tube that just went out.

4. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

When i backed into a pile, it wasn't hard. Was backing out of a drive so I wasn't going fast at all. The fronts quit while driving from one to another. Turned them off, got to the next place turned em on and nothing.

Looking at a 90w all whelen system now. I've already replaced all the tubes once, now it would be twice for 3 of them, replaced the whelen supply once, the wires haven't been replaced yet, but if i pull them, i'm putting genuine whelen back in.

5. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Oh and I've looked over my wiring twice just to be sure (in the past). And everythings how it should be.

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

iv broke 2 installing them

7. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

In my 00 Excursion the guy installing the Preco hide aways broke one when trying to pop the tube in my headlights. Then when he got all 4 in 2 didn't work. Got 2 shipped it warranty.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i only use Federal tubes in all of my installs.
    and any time i get a call from any of the people i service, i tell them Federal or nothing at all. there were a few people that beefed about my policy, till they realized the federal tubes last forever. i have units out there, some that are 10 years old, with the original tubes in them.
    i have also never had a federal tube burn out, unless someone touched it with their bare hands, or it was broke in an accident.

9. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

My back hide-a ways quit

i did an ohm meter check on the wire and have a short somewhere. i found 1 easy and fixed it. the other is going to have to wait till i can get the truck on the lift.

10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

sounds like a short or your pwr supply is getting ready to bight the big one! My guess it's probably a gound short in the tail of your vehicle or to the supply.

11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

i used to have the same problem..they would work intermittently. The connections are not waterproof, and need to be thoroughly wrapped in electrical tape. I did this and have never had a problem since. All the tubes and the power supply are 6 years old and have been installed on my last 3 vehicles.

12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

We have strobes in all our copcars and have had more than their fair share of abuse but have never broken. We have one car that has 4 strobes in the rear, and one of them only flashes once where the others flash 4times, its about to burn out.

13. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Hide away stobe

Make sure you order the longer 20' leads if you have a crew cab, and i also brook a couple bulbs when installing them.