1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Easy is it to Steal a Western pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Dec 13, 2004.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hey guys, i have my truck and plow for sale right now, and its an 8 foot Western ultramount, one year old. I am wondering what is involved in stealing the pump off of it. Is it like 2 bolts and bam its gone? I am nervous about leaving it out at night time, unsupervised. Any advice on securing the pump to the truck or plow would be great.

Kevin

2. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I would try not to leave it out where someone can steal it

there really is no way to prevent theft and the more you leave it out the more someone will get the idea of stealing it

3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

No way you can secure, atleast that I know of, just the pump/motor. Make sure it's insured.

4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

if someone just steals my pump there is no point in insurance, the deductable will be the cost of a new pump!

Is the pump the most common thing stolen, or will they normally just nab the whole plow

I have the plow in the up position, resting on cinder blocks so the load is off of the truck, but still up so if they take it it will be way harder to move.

Guess there isn;t much i can do otherwiseble , its locked to my tow hooks with heavy cable and locks. The pump is what worries me.

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Exactly, that is why you make sure the WHOLE thing is stolen...

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'd keep the plow at home where it's safe. Any guy with common sense will see the mount on the front of the truck. Put "comes with snowplow" and the description of it on the sign in the window.

7. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

replace

Replace the bolt with locking hitch pins like the ones for a trailer hitch. I do it with all my trucks.

8. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

The bolts that lock the pump on are nowhere near the size of a hitch lock pin..... what do u suggest.?

purplebou

9. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

the cheapest way is to tack a small weld on one bolt, if you have to take the pump off it only takes a few minutes to grind of cut off the bolt.

10. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

sorry

Sorry the Meyers are large enough to use a hitch Lock pin at least on my truck. Sorry about that.

11. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Yes, I use a 5/8 Hitch Pin to lock my Meyers in also, but they also sell locking 1/2" Hitch Pins too (at Wal-Mart no less). What size are the bolts? Maybe you can use a sleeve around a smaller hitch pin to take up the slack?

Kevin

12. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are leaving the plow on it just because it is for sale then The Boss said it best, leave it at home! :nod:

14. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I'll figure something out... But I'm leaving the plow on the truck, makes it look way more eye catching to a passer-by.

Kevin. Thanks for your replies guys

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, not a bad point but.........
    When looking for or at trucks, i can see a plow from a mile away, a plow mount from about 1/2 mile away, LOL. Not really but you get the idea, if you plow or know anything at all about plows, you will see the mount. If your worried that much about the pump then keep it at home, if not be prepeared to have it stolen. Which by the way is unlikely, it rarely happens around here anyways. Good Luck selling the truck, that thing is nice someone will want it. :nod: :waving:

16. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Chris, I know what ya mean man.... Yea it should be fine. One plus i have going for me is, its parked at the entrance of a 24hr Truck depot and trucks are going in and out all night long, so if someones got the balls to screw with it, then so be it.

Kev

17. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I would rather buy a 2004 F-250 that was never plowed

maybe take the plow off and sell it seperate from the truck

18. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I brought the bolts that secure the pump to the lift frame, to a machine shop, had them drill a hole large enough for a lock to fit through in each one, bought some good quality weather proof locks and it keeps the pumps pretty safe from theft.

19. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

LINY ROB, tO M

20. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I dont think thats possible with the set up on the ultra mount, the bolts are built onto the pump and secured with 2 nuts

securing the whole plow is another story, then something can be fabbed