1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does this sound?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Banksy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

While grocery shopping today I met a guy who plows for the shopping center. He also does other thing for them, but I notice the mounts on his trucks so I had to talk to him. I asked if he made decent money with the little snow we actually do get here. He said he is too busy in the winter and he does real well and can't find enough people who want to plow. I told him I was looking to get back into plowing and he asked me if I wanted to sub for him. Heres the deal.... It pays $100.00 an hour and I have to get my own insurance. As most of you know I have been looking for a plow. He has a friend who has a brand new Western for sale for $2500.00. I think this sounds good. Tell me what you think. I am ready to buy this plow tomorrow if I can get up with the guy.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

how much snow do you get? plow $2500 + Gl $1500+1200 fuel/wear and tear on your truck[5 to 7 plowable events maybe]=$5200

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The snow amount is unpredictable. There have been 20'' snow storms here that shut everything down for a week or more. Then there are the 2'' or 3'' storms we get several times a winter. Last Christmas we got 4'' and it stayed around for over a week. He has 60 accounts all over this area. Even if I only make enough this winter to break even, then next winter most would be profit. He told me that his company made $18,000 last year in 3 days for one event. There were several events last winter. I see most places plowed with only a 1'' or 2'' trigger.

4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

If you feel you can cover your expenses and make money then go for it.

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

That plow is not going to be trash in 1 year, depreciate it over 4 or 5 years. Now that plow cost him 500 a year.

6. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

Sounds Good To Me Have Fun!

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. As long as I can get this plow for what he wants I am going for it. Thanks form the replies.

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

his investment is $2500 for the plow what says he will be plowing in 2yrs.So i just built my new house we spent almost 480k but your thinking is i only spent $16k a year for my house because i have 30yrs to pay it off ????????.Maybe i am wrong but it sounded to me like it might be a part time thing for him.Because 5K or 10k or even 25k is not what your going to live on.anyone making a living doing plowing in NC I DON'T THINK SO

9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

In our area I would jump on 100.00 /hr for plowing. Especially if someone else is supplying the accounts and billing and dealing with the accounts recievable. Out here we typically get 1 to 2 inches per storm and sometimes only about 6 plowable events per winter. The going rate was 60.00 per hour last year. I just raised my rates to 75.00 / hr. Like I said, everyones situation is different. I would jump on the opportunity.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I figure it is just like any other business where you will need to invest money to eventually make it back. If I had to go buy a new plow here and spend $5,000 like the dealers here want I would not, but since it is very possible I can get a new one second hand for half as much I think it makes it a whole lot more worth it. Yes, this is part time. I am a cop full time and also half part time cops jobs. What do I need to ask for when buying insurance? I know GL, but what does that consist of?

11. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Bansky,

What truck you putting the plow on? I got a pal who has a new Boss straight blade that might go for less than what you are looking at paying! It was mounted to a Ford SuperDuty, I believe 01-03 or so... Just thought I'd mention it you being so close to me.

By the way, if you want to talk about reciprocal assistance if things get busy with one area and not another this winter, call me 804-339-2984

Also be glad to help anyway I can, info, etc. I am a fireman and do exactly what you are planning, and have been for two years.

Bill

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hey Eng50, I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel. What size is his blade and how much will he let it go for? I called that guy back yesterday for his friends number, but he said he was busy and he'd call me back. Hasn't yet. I would be interested in working elsewhere, as long as I had the time off and I would be given plenty of hours. But, first I need a blade. Would insurance from here be valid in another state? I got your # in my phone. Thanks for the reply.

13. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

He is coming by tonight at work, I will get more details, and post then. Call me when you get a chance.

Bill

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok, thanks man.

15. greenpastureslc

greenpastureslc Junior Member

That why some of us do some type of contracting in th summer.:salute:

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My insurance agent called me back today and said that he has no type of coverage to offer me for plowing. I would also have to change my truck insurance over to commercial insurance from personal and he said I could not go back to personal after the season is over. The guy I would be subbing for has not called me back yet either to give me the guys number who has the plow I first mentioned. Does not seem to be going well and it's starting not to seem worth the head ache. :mad: