1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does the PTO option on the '07 3500 CC relate to us...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming we can use it to hook up central hydraulics? or power a dump bed?

Anyone care to take a stab at educating me a bit on PTO and how it can help us and by being already on board.

2. starc

starc Senior Member

Yes exactly, I had the pto add on on a for I had to run the pump for the dump, works great. Had a shifter through the floor for the one I had, The benefit is that you won't stop it from turning the pump, if your not careful and the relief is set to high, you will break something or blow a hose...personally I loved it. It's sitting on the floor now because I'm using electric over hydraulic right now, but will eventually go back to the pto driven pump...

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Okay, so using the dump idea, lets say your dumping and moving forward, wouldn't the speed of the pto be based off rpm? so doing two things at once wouldn't be advised?

4. starc

starc Senior Member

Yes it would be based on rpm but it works fine...you wouldn't be reving the snot out of it just driving forward if your spreading the load...

5. starc

starc Senior Member

Most large dump trucks run the pump either off a trany pto some off a pump of the crank on the front of the engine. The pto pump spins at a low rpm and should be kept in mind when purchasing a pump... Not positive on the truck pto but it looks very similar to a tractor pto...540 rpm.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

some of the medium-heavy duty trucks turn the pump off of a air line?????

7. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

that air line is to shift the pto in and out of gear...