1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how does the pinion shaft come out?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Oct 29, 2005.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

im pulling the axles out of my 87 4X4 s-10..i removed the pinion shaft lockscrew..its only 3/4" long, not long enough to hold the pinion shaft.
    i can stick a drill bit in the hole and tough the shaft. i can see all the way to the shaft..but this shaft isnt comming out..i hit it with a brass pin and hammer.. im the original owner..this is the 1st time the cover has been off the truck..
    is this a ***** and i have to hit it harder?:eek:

2. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I assume you are talking about the differential cross pin. This is the pin you must remove to pop the c-clips off. That little bolt should be atleast 1-1.25 inches long..... It looks like 3-4 threads and a 1/2 in pin ater the threads. I suspect the pin is still in the housing holding the cross pin in the diff.
    good luck

3. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

your right, but heres the deal,,i cant find the rest of the bolt..im sure its still not in there cause i can see the pin..Oh well
    weird thing is im the original owner never been in there until now..

4. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

there is a hole in the pin that the bolt/pin fits into it to keep it from sliding out.
    you can usually get a scribe in there and twist it all the way out...
    good luck
    mike

5. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Shouldn't have to hit it with a hammer, the pin should just slide out. If part of the bolt is still stuck in there you can try a pick, magnet or drill it out, either way it's a PITA. Good luck.

6. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

thanks guys..:nod:

7. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i was lucky..i took a air gun and blew air in the hole the bolt occupied and the end of the bolt came out..

now i have another problem:dizzy: that i will start a new post with..