1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how does the chain hook on newer plows work?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 31, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

the chain hook gives you a lower float. how does this work?

2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

it doesnt limit the moldboard travel by a hyd piston stroke. & u can adjust chain length like any other plow.

3. birddseedd

i was told it gives you extra float distance below the tires than just the slack of the chain from mounting it to the lift frame. is this not the case?

4. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

The chain is adjustable. Where as the piston only goes as far as the stroke can go.. You can adjust the chains to lift your plow higher and lower when traveling from lot to lot as well. If you need to plow something that has an uphill grade or downhill grade, you can adjust the chain to however much travel you will need.

5. birddseedd

what i did was adjust it as low as i need for my lowest spot on my route. but soemoen mentioned mentioned that the hook on newer plows gives you more distance:confused: seemed weird. doesnt look like there is any kind of mechanism on it to do so. jsut a hook that hangs there.

well. i am concidering building such mechanism for my plow to have higher height when the plow is lifted, but be able to go lower when you need to fload well below your tires.

6. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

I never heard of the ultra-mounts hook giving you any more "float" than the uni-mount hook? If you need more float for one job than the rest, I would find out which link on the chain works the best and place a wire tie on that link. The problem is you will have to get out of your truck to change the chain link back. The other issue is the higher you go on the lift chain, the lower you will be able to lift up your plow. That is where you will have to play around to find the happy medium.

7. birddseedd

well. for now all iv done is deal with the plow being a little low. its just a matter of convienience.bif i can build a hook that will lift aw you lift the ram, it will give me the extra couole inches i need without having to adjust the chain.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That is not what he said, he said the design of the hook gives the necessary slack needed for float.

9. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

This is the stragest question ive seen yet, he's making it confusing for himself LOL

10. birddseedd

im not confused. the hook is just a hook. by the other guys statement it seemed it might swivle or something. it doesent. the slack in the chain is not enough for me. so i will make a hook that does swivle.

11. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

A swivel hook isn't going to give you anymore float. There's a fixed relationship between the hook on the lift arm and the A-frame, even if it swivels. You get more float by adding slack to the chain but lose lift height when you do. It's a compromise at best.

If you're referring to the reply you got from mishnick, he was pointing out that the Western is designed to provide adequate float when the chain is adjusted as he described. While that doesn't work in every conceivable situation, it's for the vast majority.

12. birddseedd

i happen to not be part of that majority. a few of the drives i picked up this year have 2 gradients that lift the plow high in the air. getting a couple extra inches will make it more convienient.

13. birddseedd

why would it not give you more lift? if it swings down after the plow lowers, and swings up before the plow raises; that will raise and lower the plow more, without putting any more strain on the plow moror and pump.

14. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

how would you get a hook or swivel to lift up and down before the ram moves. you have a lift arm and ram that raises and lowers together, to get a lower float position you need to let out some slack in the chain, what brand plow is this

15. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

You might just want to change your angle of attack on your lot or driveway to make up for the amount of float you are trying to achieve, if slacking out the chain isnt sufficient

16. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I suppose someone could engineer a scissors-type lift arm that could go higher or lower than current models but why? The current plow design has been fairly effective for years.

Good point. If you're running out of float in one direction, try going the opposite way.

It's also possible that since you're using a hodge-podge plow with different components from different manufacturers that you're lift chain and/or lift arm aren't setup properly. A few weeks back you posted about this and were advised to move the lift chain attaching point back behind the quadrant (which I think you said you did). You can try massaging that a little bit but as you get that chain closer to the truck you start changing the intended geometry and place additional stess on the components.

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this... :dizzy: Maybe you need a winch-style lift? That would give you a fixed lift height but almost infinite drop.

17. birddseedd

ya. that was me. and the help was much greatly appreciated. with the chain in the correct spot it is much safer and more manageable.

and frankly i dont HAVE to get more float. but if i can it woudl be a little more convienient. not a neccessity.

i might be able to get a little more with the positioning of my pump tho. should the pump be level or tilted forward some?

old western conventional cable controlled

18. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, those always tilted forward a bit. the bolt through the back of the lift channel would be straight above the bolt at the bottom of the power unit, so the bolt at the top lift ram would be about 6" out toward the hook for the chain on the lift channel.

19. red dog

red dog Junior Member

Isn't the plow height limited bythe A frame hitting upper frame.So how can I get extra height?If I slack my chain for extra float travel am I not limited on height due to lift ram stroke?Long day (another storm),am I missing something here....never read all threads.:confused:

20. birddseedd

quick catch up. i want to get more float without loosing height.

yes when the a frame hits the lift frame that is the max height youll ever get.