1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does my 15% off flyer look?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by HULK2184, Aug 30, 2009.

1. HULK2184

HULK2184 Member

Hello everyone! I am trying to make a easy to the point 15% off flyer to hand out. I was wondering if i could get some input and things i may want to add or remove from it. I suck at doing things like this so any help would be great thanks!!

flyer pic.jpg

2. HULK2184

HULK2184 Member

Hope this one works

fyler pic 2.jpg

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why are you lowering your price?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would change the best deal possible to "very competive pricing" and something about a "high level of service"

5. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

By seeing the 08-09 contract, he can underbid the competition, don't know if I would attempt that, could be a can of worms. :(

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All he is doing is lowering the perceived value of the service. He may fill his schedule but will he make any money?

I think I would offer "let us review your 08/09 contracts and see if we can save you money on your 09/10 plowing."

7. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Well said.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't think price is the main selling point except for a few truly ignorant people. Everybody likes to save money but most of the time I get someone looking for my services it is because they are un-happy with their currant contractors service, though often they get a reality check when they find that i am substantially more money then their current provider. I get the "we like the way X development looks, we would like you to provide that kind of service to us," then I give them a bid for 50% more then they are paying and they are surprised that better service cost more money. But some make the change. Since I am strictly a zero tolerance supplier, I offer the names of others that do good work but work off a 2/3" trigger to those whom want it and often they change to a supplier that charges more then their old supplier but provides better service.

My point is selling on price only benefits the customer and forces you to lower the quality of your service while making less money.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

All the previous points are very good. Guys like Basher and JDDave have been in this business for years.

I presume you have an existing client base already, and are looking to grow.
    Let me ask you this. How would you feel if someone else started handing these out to your current customers?

The way I see it in this business, you can make allies, or enemies. I prefer allies. If your work is that good, it will speak for itself, and your business will grow the right way. By referrals. I started out on my own about 4 years ago with less than a dozen driveways. When I decided to go fulltime, I told myself I would never try to deliberately take business from someone else. Now I have at least 18 hours of plowing per storm, probably closer to 24 hours. I will be running three trucks this year. Never cutthroat anyone to get a job. I was fortunate to have someone give me their medium sized route, but that took two years of smooth talking.

Keep in mind that I live in a very rural area, and all the plow guys get along and will help each other out if needed. You might be in a urban situation that is different.

10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I tried the "15% off their current price" brocure several years ago. Didn't work and felt bad about handing it out. People like saving money, but didn't respond. I think it had the image of being needy, or maybe a beginner starting out (even though I had been in business for years). It might work with residentials, but I tried it on commercial.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have also tried the % off fliers and have never had a response from them. I have passed out thousands of fliers to residentials and really only get about a .5% to 1% response.

I did the math last winter and I was spending a minimum of $200 per month passing out fliers. I decided a nice ad in the local marketing book that comes in the mail for $180 per month was a better way to go. I still pass out fliers from time to time just for giggles.

12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Not to be rude but a flier like that would say to me "Listen up people! I'm willing to lowball your friends and neighbours and drive the value of services down in your area."

An across the board 15% off sounds like opening a can of worms in the area like a previous poster on this thread stated.

JMO No offense intended.

13. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i use to do stuff like this but i always jacked up the price to cover me so lets say i plow a drive in 5 mins and charge $20 i would offer stuff like get your 10th plow free to smaller drives like this no way would i do it to a big account but i had 6 drive ways really close to each other and offered this worked out for me and made the people happy

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You have 24hrs of plowing to do after every storm? With 3 trucks? I'd love to hear all about that. Oh, and your not deliberately taking other peoples business. What does that mean?

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

damn low baller.......

j/k man...looks fine