1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does it work.. push spreader for walks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigjeeping, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

How does a spreader work so that it only spreads the salt evenly over about 4-5 feet (average width of sidewalk) ??

If anyone knows of a good push spreader that can be used for sidewalks and for small driveways please let me know!

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use a broadcast spreader with piece of rubber on 1 side as a deflector.this keeps the width as wide as the side walk. i also have a meyer spreader that came with a deflector that can be removed for doing driveways
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we cut up old mud flaps and pop rivet them to the sides.....i actually just bought 4 earthway spreaders with an adjustable side flaps feature for the sidewalk crew to try out. we go through way too many scotts throw away spreaders. hopefully these will last longer.
  4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We use magic in our broadcast spreaders and it works great for side walks and even small lots. Salt tends to clog them.
  5. We also used magic in our Agrifab 125 with the sidewalk chute. Works real well.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I use a Lesco spreader with the sidewalk guard on the side, works well for me.
  7. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

We use a Meyer Hotshot spreader, it has an aluminum guard that is removable for larger areas. Holds about half of a 50 lb. bag of salt.
  8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Use Lesco spreaders with two flaps on each side to redirect the ice melt down to the sidewalk. I hope you all are not using salt on concrete sidewalks!!
  9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

salt on concrete... whats the bid deal?
  10. zmowing

zmowing Junior Member

Salt pits walks Don't use salt.:redbounce
  11. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

UNLESS that is all the customer want's to pay for... as long as you mention that there are better ways.
  12. C.Leman

C.Leman Junior Member

Salt on sidewalks

What else is used rather than salt on sidewalks? Sand? A mixture?
  13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

The expensive stuff. Calcium, Magnesium, a mixture of the two. Hot Wendy's Chili, some Jalepeno Peppers, Tabasco, Red Hot, anything you want. Just no rock salt.
  14. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

yeah what Andy said. I'm surprised that everybody doesn't know that by now:rolleyes:
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just looked at a Meyers hotshot the other day, I thought he told me it held more than 25lbs !? I thought it was more like 60 or 80 lbs. Was a little pricy, for another 150 bucks I could get a hitch mount spreader. About how much are you guys paying for a decent walk behind broadcast salt spreader like Lesco or whatever brand you like? And where are they available? I don't have a lot of accounts this year, starting back up after 4 years, and I never offered salt before. I need to be able to make whatever I buy pay for itself. I'm really starting to lean that way after figuring how long it would take me to salt my accounts by hand (well, push spreader) as opposed to a tailgate or hitch spreader. It seems like a real timesaver for driveways, and easier to remove and store. After all, you can only drive so fast. I don't like getting out of the truck, but I'm thinking, pull the spreader out of the bed, throw a bag or two in it, trot up and back down the driveway, throw empty spreader in truck and I'm gone. If it's cheaper, I'm all over it.
  16. I have been using an earthway spreader for three seasons now with no problems.
  17. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

no need for the spreader. I spread all sidewalks by hand. It seemed like a big cost and i could apply it better by hand.
  18. shrpstknfndabox

shrpstknfndabox Junior Member

What worked for me

Over the past few years, Broadcast by far has faired best. Holds more than the suggested 100 lbs.,just belly slice 3rd bag leave on top (150lbs). As for Earthway my staff went thru 3 last year alone, maybe overloading killed them as the axles broke on every one of them. Also tried the adjustable flaps, found what has been said rivet a couple of rubber flaps works wonders. You may find it helpful if you adjust your drop rate speed and then slow your walk gait to keep it on the sidewalks.
  19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was quoted $289 for the Meyers Hotshot, nice and rugged looking, but too much money. I just started searching the 'net, found an Agrifab 125 for $159, looks real good but doesn't say anything about using it for salt. It does say rustproof, so I'm guessing it should be all right. I think Meyers transmission looks a lot better, it's all enclosed, whereas the worm drive on the Agrifab is exposed. I suppose for the difference in price I can clean the gear drive myself. I found an Earthworks spreader for only $79, but it looks pretty cheesy. Really cheesy. Any other suggestions I should look for? I checked around for the Broadcast spreader that was mentioned above, seems to be made by Earthworks, is there a particular model I should check out?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  20. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Haha well thanks to whoever bumped this post up from last month.......

I have 2 trucks with a shoveler in each.. he also jumps out and does the salt if the drive requires it. I only salt about 25 out of 70 resis. I was going to buy 2 agri-fab push spreaders at $350 each but then our first snow rolled around and caught me off guard 11/26 (i think). So I grabbed our scotts walk behind spreaders which we use for fertilizer ($30 each at Lowes) and used those for the first snow. And they work GREAT just walk slow down the sidewalks so it only spreads the salt on the walk, then go up and down the drive and BAM you're done. No need to invest $300+ in something which is probably going to break anyway... just grab one of these for $30 and if/when it breaks buy another! I've used mine for 4 snows now and have had no problems. Already paid themselves off 10 fold!