1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does everyone...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by David 06 Ranger, Feb 20, 2009.

1. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

deal with the stress of running their own business?

I feel like a walking time bomb ready to explode any minute. The reason this started is one of my new employees. This kid is 18 years old and complains if his mom doesn't have his supper cooked when he gets home. He complains all day that he hates his job, wants more hours etc. This kid lives at home in a million dollar house, pays $200 a month for rent and his cell phone bill and complains about it. I pay my guys every friday because I know that it's nice to have some money always coming in and then he's asking me to lend him money by the following Tuesday. I just recieve a voice mail, it's him asking if it's ok to take the weekend off because he wants to go snowboarding. What would you guys do about this? I'm hard up for workers right now and it's proving impossible to find anyone with some integrity and work ethic. I see people who have guys with them for 10,20,30 years, someone please enlighten me!

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Sounds to me like this employee has "silver spoon" syndrome. I would let him go and find an employee that needs work and willing to do it. I don't know this "18 year old kid", but it sounds to me like Mom and/or Dad want him to know what life is about. A million Dollar home doesn't usually just fall in your lap.
    Someone worked hard to afford that luxury. JMO tymusic

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Im with Bajak on this one.

Tell if he wants the weekend off thats fine but he can have the rest of the season off also. Then give him the "i hired you to do a job and you knew what it involved " speech. Then if he agrees to stay and you get the chance, hammer him with hours and drive him into the ground until he cant take it anymore.

4. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

Yeah, I'm glad you guys think the same. Sometimes I think I might be too hard on people.

I almost want to help him. I know his father well, he's a pretty big icon in the construction industry. He probably didn't want his kids to have to struggle like he did, sort of back fired lol
    I'm going to teach this kid to not be such a mommas boy. I'm going to let him enjoy his weekend with his friends then make him work along side of me for 15 hours a day, I'll shame him into becoming a man haha

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicI like all the advice your getting. But with a few exceptions (Im getting to old for this BS maybe) Im finding that youth today 8 times out of 10 are a waste of time as a employer to hire and train (in other words teach them the skills of work and life) them in ways that their parents should of done.My best guys are over 40, have had life experience. Dont look at your equipment and think "oh he must be loaded, Im gonna slack off". They realize that if ya wanna make it ya gotta spend to get it.(Unless your like this loser) I would say, it not your job to teach him life skills. CUT HIM LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

is this a shoveler or a driver? man when i was 14 i was workin my a$$ off on a farm nights and weekends..

goddamn kids piss me off..

that boy needs a good 4 years in the Marines... try getting shot at for 6 months straight.. then b*tch about supper.... son-of-a-b*tch

7. pgw0321321

pgw0321321 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I pay my guys on Tuesday, I used to do payroll on Fridays with no problem with my older employees.
    I hired a few young guys for plowing and it didn't work, most would be broke by Monday or Tuesday.

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, I had one guy go awol on me during the storm yesterday. Right now I have myself, another driver, and 1-2 shovelers depending on how bad the storm is (and back-up). Anyways, of course, it was the driver who wouldn't answer his phone, and then shut it off. And now a day later, after all the messages I left him, still haven't herd back. The other shoveler was at school (college) and a friend of mine, who helps me out sometimes was not available either. So this all meant that I had to do the work of 2 trucks with 4 guys, by myself. It got done, but took a loong time. There will be someone getting let go over this one. Just need to find a new driver first.

9. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

He's neither, laborer on my roofing crew.

Tell me about it, he needs some military discipline for sure.

I appreciate all the advice, I think I'm going to give this guy a good talking to and try him one more time.

10. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I would say the same as others ''take the weekend may as well look for another job''
    or like DONALD TRUMP WOULD SAY'' YOUR FIRED'':gunsfiring:

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

If he wants to go snowboarding & theres no snow in the forecast, then thats allright! But considering he complains about his job all day, then tell'em to find somethin else!

12. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

hahah That's the thing, there is no snow in the forecast.

I hired him to help out my roofing crew. We have had crappy (to me) weather for some time now. It was a beautiful day today perfect for him to get some more hours that he wanted.

Funny thing is, I went in today with only one of my best guys to get things movin. We did more work in 8 hours than what has happend all week. Haha

I think he doesn't take me serious when I get on his case for fuggin the dog. I think when he sees what two guys did in an 8 hour period he'll feel like a ******* and hopefully pull some more weight.

13. John from OH

John from OH Member

"I think he doesn't take me serious when I get on his case for fuggin the dog. I think when he sees what two guys did in an 8 hour period he'll feel like a ******* and hopefully pull some more weight."

I've been at this for around 25 years. Your answer is in the first sentence above. He doen't take you serious, he's snow boarding and your busting your rear. Think about it from an 18 year olds perspective. He had the fun, you had to work. He doesn't have the responbility and he doesn't have the worry and come Monday, he still has a job. I've been there, done that. The tail is wagging the dog. He's a cancer to your company. He'll come in Monday and won't even think about or realize how much 2 guys did in an 8 hour period. The harder you work, the less he has to do. If he worked for me, he would not have a job on Monday. The only way he will learn is after he goes through several employers and suddenly realizes he has to actually do what the boss wants in order to keep a job. I'm not trying to flame you, just give an honest opinion from my experience.

If you economy is anything like it is in my area, you will be able to replace him with someone that badly needs a paycheck and is willing to work for it. I wish you the best of luck in finding some good help that will be an asset to your company and not a drain.

14. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

The majority of the younger generation (18-21) doesn't want to have to work... they think they are worth big bucks to do little to no work. There's a "kid" I work with right now that is 21, ask him to get you a tool and he casually mopes over to get it and mopes back... no speed at all. Is your guy required to work weekends? If so... fire him!

15. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Being the boss with employees is a challenge, we recently sent out records of employment for tax man. I have about 20 employees and sent out 74 ROE's.
    Finding the right guy is key. Currrently I have a 19yr old who has become a go to guy. Have older guys who are just taking up space.
    Hiring and firing is a never ending cycle.

16. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Guys around my age that go to work and scratch their azz piss me off. I have buddies that come from multi-million dollar families but work to take up time and to learn life skills. The worst part is people thinking "the boss just drives around in his nice truck all day, screw him" when we're actually still working long after employees go home. One of my guys came up to me once when I was in rough shape stressed out and said "I actually can't imagine all the stuff you think about. When I go home, I hang out and watch TV but you must always be thinking business". Needless to say this guy is my best worker, and highest paid too.

Like BI said above, hiring and firing is a never ending cycle in contracting business.

17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

As far as payroll goes, I sropped paying on Friday 10 years ago for the same reason, I am always loaning on Monday as they blew it over the wwekend. I now pay on Mondays and nobody seems to mind the difference. If I get a good reason I will consider an early paycheck, but since I switched to Mondays I have yet to loan out money during the week. Just something for you to consider as it worked for me.

18. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

Give him a week off, tell him that you rely on the workers to get things done and snowboarding is not paying the bills. Next time there won't be a job waiting for him...

19. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

A lot of good points made.

Nothing drives me up the wall more than someone moping around on jobsites. I usually end up just pushing guys out of the way and doing it all myself. (All while calling them "Mommas boys" "Sissies" Asking them if they want a titty bottle to suck on?, if they wanna go home and hold their g/f's hands?) Haha I'm surprised no one's tried to kill me yet.

I don't require it no, but hell it might rain or snow for a few days , that's when we get our time off. We have to work when the weather is nice and I figured since he bitches about money and hours he would have jumped at the chance to get a few extra days on his pay.

20. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

Yeah that's a good point and I've thought about it actually. I want to find someone that can be paid on Friday and still have money come Monday. Shows some responsibility rather than being forced to be responsible, but hell I might just do that to save my sanity for now haha