1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does everyone transport their quads to different accounts??

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Pjslawncare1, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Just wondering how everyone transports their quad and plow set up to the different accounts they have. Luckily, most of my accounts are within driving distance with the quad but some of them are across town. I use my landscape trailer right now, but it's seems so dumb to haul a 16ft. tandem axle trailer in the middle of a snow storm. I have a 2004 F-150 6.5' box and a sportsman 500. It might fit in the back, however last time I tried that, I shattered the entire rear window so I'm apprehensive lol and that was without the plow on. I have a mid mount plow (tubes to go center of frame) and I don't know if there would be enough clearance room for ramps off the back of the tailgate.

I'm just wondering what you guys do....Thanks!!

2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Heck I just drive the 4 blocks then the 2 blocks and then 6 blocks back home.

though I live in a small town that is only 2 miles from 1 end to the other.

so for anything in my area I can just drive the quad 2.

3. dan67

dan67 Member

transport

First good snow fall this year, 6" this morning but melting fast. I can drive to most accounts but I do have to haul to one area to work. Have hauled both ways 8' bed W/tool box. Harder to backin but carry's the weight better. will show both ways.

puatv 002.jpg

4. dan67

dan67 Member

other way

Heres the other way.

puatv 003.jpg

5. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I have a question for you guy's with ATV's....Have any of you asked your local town's if they hire them to clean side-walks....I think the 4 wheeler set-up would be the balls for sidewalks....Just Curious :dizzy:

Tom

6. dan67

dan67 Member

I do also trailer a times

snow pictures 013.jpg

7. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Awesome thanks Dan...I was considering backing it into my truck, but like I said I shattered the glass before and i'm concerned about wet tires with snow on metal ramps....do you slip?

8. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I added a quad to the mix this year and will be trailering it in my enclosed trailer. I like the idea of having the enclosed along to keep the quad and extra stuff I want to bring. I will be pulling it with one of my plow trucks that also has a tailgate spreader. I had a welder put on an extra receiver to carry the spreader so I can also pull the trailer. I took the handle off the jack stand and put a deep well socket in it's place so now I can raise and lower the trailer quickly with a cordless drill. It seems like a great setup for my needs but we'll see how good it works.

9. dan67

dan67 Member

ramps

They don't slip much, with chains and 4x4 it does o.k.. I also have rubber horse trailer mat's in the p/u. I keep the back of my p/u shovel'ed out all the time. Little xtra work but i sure hate to slip off ramps or slid out of truck

10. bullseye

bullseye Member

I too use my enclosed trailer for transport ! I like it because with the weather being -20 C or colder it retains some heat when I park the quad in there. I think if you had a quad on a open trailer it would get even colder and harder to start because of the wind-chill. I've got a 12 ft. enclosed and I can fit my quad and blade, snowblower, gas can, and some tools in there. Plus it keeps the snow off my stuff while I go from job to job. I also have a small open flat deck trailer for jobs that are close but still like my enclosed trailer better.
    I will admitt I would perfer to have the quad in the back of the truck because towing a trailer thru snow can some times be a little entertaining !! I don't think it will work though because the push tubes on the quad hang down just enought to be a pain when going up or down the ramp when loading and unloading.

11. dan67

dan67 Member

Love to use enclosed trailer, but not in budget. The open trailer leaves it a bit messy sometime. you do what you can do. I don't have a hard start problem. Last week it was around -8 F most of the week.

12. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Do you have a carb or efi?

13. dan67

dan67 Member

Carb, were also at 4200ft. Brother has efi grizzly 700 and efi is the way to go thats for sure. But with the right tuning carb runs good here.

14. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

hows your plow mounted?

15. dan67

dan67 Member

glacierplow mount

atv 001.jpg

16. Racer593

Racer593 Member

What if you put in a back rack to protect the window?

17. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

That's a good thought, I have to check pricing but I would guess that they're expensive but not as expensive as my $718 rear window haha. I see those all the time on 3/4ton trucks and they look good, I'm not sure about an F-150

18. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

good idea with the rack, great for alot of other stuff too

19. Rubberducky700

Rubberducky700 Junior Member

I am running a Kawasaki Prairie 700 with a Warn 54" Straight blade and since most of my work is far apart and I don't have a smaller (7'X12") trailer or small enclosed I load my rig in the back of my '90 F-150 Reg. Cab with 8' box and Tool box. I have to use my 7.5' ramps as the 6' ramps are much to short. depending on how level my load surface is I may even have to get off the machine at the tailgate to prevent the push tubes from hooking on my tailgate. Works pretty good most of the time but a small utility trailer would be much faster and easier.

20. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

you should look into a backrack for your truck so you dont break your window again