1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how does everyone mix thier sand/salt????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by trqjnky, Dec 18, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

how do you mix your salt and sand for best results??? im sure there are a dozen ways to do it right and 3 million ways to do it wrong...

myself, i start with a 50lb bag of salt, then a bucket of sand, another bag of salt, another bucket of sand, and layer them. technically the conveyor should mix it plenty good. this is the way i was taught to do it, so how do you do it??

some guys mix together in the pile, but i like keeping my salt bagged untill use.

2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I usually do 6 heaped buckets of sand and 4 smaller buckets of salt. Churn the pile and move on. Never have I had a freeze up unless it doesn't get covered.

3. leon

leon Senior Member

batch mixing

As you are using a spreader with a conveyor you are pulling material from the the back to the front which is the opening and it is pulling from the bottom which forces the material ablve it to fall back into the gap behind it and it is mixing it well for you so no worries there.

Leaving the salt in the bag is fine to as the moisture will not affect it directly which is good because bagged salt is not treated with an anti caking agent.

4. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

We buy ours pre-mixed from the city Thumbs Up

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

1 parts salt, 0 parts sand. No mixing needed. :cool:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Same here. Although sometimes I soak it down with a little calcium chloride

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

3 parts salt to 1 part sand, mix with the Bobcat and stored dry inside. Although I don't use much salt/sand mix anymore, I do keep about 8 ton on hand.

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

For you guys spreading straight salt, if you would, pm me what you charge for that. I'm just curious and dont know anyone spreading straight salt to ask.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

:salute: Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. cretebaby

By the bag or the ton?

What ratio of sand/salt do you use?

11. leon

leon Senior Member

Salt and sand etc.

It is not legally possible that you can purchase salt and sand from a non profit government entity.

Thats not Kosher for sure; as governmental accounting standards will not permit the sale of municipal goverment property unless it is sold at auction after itis fully depreciated or destroyed beyond use for scrap value.

I would very quickly dis-associate myself from this and walk away from it for sure as you will be looking for vacation time in the wrong place since you will be considered a co-conspiritor in theft of municipal property in the State Of North Dakota with whomever you are buying the material from. :eek::yow!:

12. cretebaby

:rolleyes:

You can't pay for comedy this good.:laughing:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

18 tons screened sand, one ton salt... mixed with a skid... store outside under a tarp..... no problems with freezing

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Some of you know that my business name is FargoSnow . I just want to be clear that fargosnowpro is not me, or any of my employees. I think they chose a poor username, and i'd appreciate it if they would choose a different name.

Thanks, Steve
    Owner
    FargoSnow
    www.FargoSnow.com

15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Well steve, maybe you should of used that name. So there wasn't any confusion.... Lol

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Trqjnky- I just recently changed the name to FargoSnow to reflect changes that will enable us to go 'snow only' in the future. Image Property Service was the previous name, and i still own it also for the time being.

Fargosnowpro doesnt have to change his name. But I wouldn't mind if he did :)

17. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i was just joking steve.. i have had that problem in the past, similar names and people think you are saying things that someone else is saying.

18. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

My salt is mixed with magic-o nothing else :nod:

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

when we get sand as the loader is dumping the sand in the trailer we mix in salt....when we unload the trailer the skidded scoops it up and puts it in the building so it gets mixed very well
    1 ton of sand and 100-150 lbs of salt

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you mixing your sand with sand? :laughing:

18 to 1 is pushing it in my experience. But if the sand is pretty dry, the salt is fine, it is well mixed and under cover it should work.

I used to put down four or five big scoops of sand and flatten it out. One scoop of salt spread across, then four or five more scoops of sand. Churn it up with the skid. Pile it up. Move the pile. Move it again to the final spot. Seemed to work well to mix it.