1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How does a truck & plow compare to a Skid Steer & plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carcrz, Dec 14, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I was thinking about putting a plow on my loader. It basically sits all winter so I figured I might as well get some use out of it. But I was wondering - how does it compare? Can it push more? less? Speed?

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of loader???

What kind of loader,what kind of plow,what kind of plowing????
    They use backhoes with P/A blades on a regular basis on the highways in Massachusetts as do some of the cities and towns.I am seeing more skid-steers used for sidewalk plowing.Chain up a loader and it does a good job moving snow.All depends on what it is and what you are going to use it for........

3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It's a Case 1845C. Haven't bought anything for the front of it yet because I want some opinions on how they do before I go spending any money,

4. Oshkosh

Depends on how you want to use it.

I ran a Case 1840 with a blower for the State,clearing sidewalks,over and under passes and they loved it.
    I've seen skid-steers with a pusher doing parking lots,loading docks,airports etc and they seem to work great.
    I see more and more towns using them to clear sidewalks and doing post storm cleanup.

5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I do mainly parking lots, but my wife got me thinking - she could sit in the truck & plow while I was on the Case doing the areas that had some cars & obstacles. I figured it would be less wear & tear on my truck.

6. Oshkosh

No reason not to.

The only issue I have heard guys talking about is better traction ,either chains, studded tires or snows etc.. would help that if you ran into that problem.
    I would think either a 8' pickup plow adapted to a blank or your bucket or a 8' pusher would be ideal to squeeze in between the cars.As the banks grew you could stack with the machine also.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'd go for it. it'll be the best money you will spend. i bought my 9' meyer (municipal power angle) for $500 and the mount, lift arm and welding was about $200. can't go wrong spending $700.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

get a 8' protech snow pusher and run circles around your truck.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

there is a guy trying to sell a homemade pusher in the for sale forum. He only wants the money he has into the material for it $400-$500 not a bad deal for a cheap pusher

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, get a pusher insted of a plow.

11. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I was thinking about the pusher as well. I've heard that they hold more snow than a plow. Plus, they can stack it better too.

12. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hold on Boys!!! I have a 7' plow on my bobcat. It plows like a frickin tank! Love it!!! I have no problems what so ever making big piles of snow. I have a apt complex that is 3 blocks long. We run a truck thru to open and I take over. 45 minutes tops......that's in between cars and fenced in parking stalls. :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: