1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gslam88, Apr 1, 2003.

1. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Guys,

I am new to this ... just wanting to know how to do a couple of things

how do you opperate a snow plow??

when driving on a residential driveway .. do you drive on the left or right side???
    :confused:

where do you stand using a snowblower.. in front of or behind it??

do you charge the customers for plowing or shoveling the driveway???

I saw a good plow on ebay... is it a good idea to buy it???

Can you buy a good skid steer on ebay from ChTucker??

Do I have to pay for stuff on ebay??

:confused:

Pete "april what"

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

LMAO at Pete!!:drinkup: :drinkup: .

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Those are all very good questions. I can help with a few of them... No you dont charge customers for plowing or shoveling, this is our hobby, we are not supposed to make money off of it... :D I always thought you should stand in front of the snowblower until I realized it was harder to operate the controls from in front of it, and it always tries to run me over... :confused: E-Bay is an awesome place to buy a snowplow from..., and no you cannot buy ChTuckers skidsteer from him, cause some jackass who refuses to pay for it has it in his possession in another state, which by the way was purchased off of E-Bay. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. Mike :drinkup:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2003
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yea buy a :gunsfiring: M___ plow and when your done plowing with it you will get out of the truck in disgust and want to stand in front of the snow blower.

happy nerd.jpg

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

driving on a residential driveway - stay on the lawn so you don't make tracks on the asphalt.

In case of drives like I have, I've found staying between the ditches work best.

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

ALL OF THOSE TOPICS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED A THOUSAND TIMES!! DO A SEARCH!! :realmad:

In the future please limit your inquiries to important topics, which are of interest to the largest cross section of the membership, such as, "Which brand of snowblowers has the most functional flask holder?" and "If I mount a Blizzard 9611 to my son's tricycle, do I need to use tire chains?" :)

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

nice to put a face with your name Jay.

LOL

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

HAHAHA LMAO

Jay

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LMAO CT, that was a good one, hehe. :D :drinkup: Mike

10. tileman

tileman Member

and don't forget never bury any cars in the wal-mart parking lot. Get out of the cab and clean real close so they can get in.:rolleyes: and go back and clean that drive for that old sob and pay him. You know he did know more about your job than you do.:realmad:

11. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

hmmmm this thread seems an awful lot like another thread from another forum......:D

12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

No problem CT18.

This is for you, Jay. :D :p :drinkup:

jaynerd.jpg

13. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

All those questions.... I have one too. Does $15/hr sound like good money to you?Thats what I can make doing parking lots. Everyone is calling me this winter. I can't believe it. This is such easy money. I have 10 hours of plowing on my route, that works out to $150 per snow fall:eek: Whats a good minimum price? I tell my customers I won't even drop the blade for less than $5.00. I've got gas and other expenses to worry about.

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mike and Meyer, sitting under the tree, k i s s i n g .... :D :D

Sorry can't stop. :D :drinkup:

15. tileman

tileman Member

You can charge $5.00 or $6.00 for those easy driveways you know the ones pull in drop plow go forward stop at garage doors, raise plow back out. $ 7.00 tops.

16. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Wait ..guys... you thought I was joking??/

no ... I am serious.....

Pete

Mike.... but I want to buy equipment from someone and not pay for it... are you trucks for sale yet????

Mick.... I try to stay on the grass...don't want to mess up the driveway

digger... thanks.. I forgot a question.. how do you use the search button... is it by the any key??

I also want to start Scrub-R-Us..... but I won't drop my blade for less than $2.50... I have my expense ya know.... and with it prices going up and all ... had to raise my price a little...
    commercial price is $9.99 any size lot.....
    also now that I have my fleet of "push snow plow on wheels" ebay style I can keep up the big boys up in canada... almost 375 driveways an hour.....

The only real problem is I can't get the R to go back wards....

Pete

17. Mick

from Maine

Grshppr - $15/hr sounds kind of high. But, hey, if you can get it, go for it.

18. Mick

from Maine

Nobody has tackled the question about how to operate a snowplow. I was kind of waiting for the more experienced guys, but I think it has something to do with that toggle thingy or handle thingy (whichever you have in your truck) unless you've got lever thingies. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Just drive around until the snow is somewhere where it wasn't. Be sure to pile some in front of the garage so they don't have to go so far to make snowballs. And pile it to the side of the driveway just far enough so you can get out.

19. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

It actually takes three keys at the same time. ''ctrl', "alt", and "delete"...

Actually, Mick, if you just drive back and forth long enough it packs down until it's below your trigger depth. Then you can go home without having to touch any of those thingies....

20. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Mick:

The way to raise the plow is very simple. Have three guys lift it up, wrap a chain around the plow, and then attach it to the little emblem thing on the hood. (my chev has one, you may have to weld some 1/4 " steel to rig it to. To lower, simply reverse the previous instruction.

Another thing I rigged up on my plow today....a snow deflector!!! Tired of getting snow on your windshield? Just get some 1/2 OSB (or plywood, which is a little more pricy, some of you guys with big $$ may want plywood) cut a strip 6" by the length of your plow (generally 5') dril holes in the top of the plow and match these holes to similar holes in the OSB stip of wood, then use "zip-ties" to attach it securely. Works great! You can even paint it yellow, so it matches Mike97SS's snowplow!:drinkup: