1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you utilize your V-plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Ok I know you use it to plow snow.

My question is how often or what percentage of the time do you use your V-plow in the V mode (wings folded back)?

What type of situations do you find yourself needing that feature?

Do you ever find yourself using the V-plow in a configuration other than the typical scoop, straight or folded back position?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I use it in V when we get the 8 to 12 inch storms to break through call in residential after the big storm. Makes quick work when the other guys have to spend all the time just trying to get through the apron. Then I charge a lot of money.
  3. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I was saved last winter by the Vmode in driveways that were heavily drifted. My one ton dually's with the staight blades were twisting sideways, and I was able to push through the packed drifts.
    Other than that, the roadside accumulations at cul-de-sacs are particularly good targets for the V.
    I cannot imagine fighting without it.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use the V rarely I use the scoop a lot.

I will not buy a strate blade again
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I use one wing forward, other wing straight quite a bit I find. Only have had a couple storms to try it, but it eliminates trail off while moving signifant snow forward. Last year, I really struggled to open up some steep gravel drives with the amount of snow we had over the winter, plus how wet it was. One of the reasons I bought a v when I upgraded truck+plow.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I can't believe everyone doesn't use a v blade. you get the best of all world's. To answer your question....I hardly use the "V" mode at all but when you need to, it's sure nice to have.
  7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I would never buy a v-plow. Western wide out is the way to go, or any wide out for that matter!!
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Like others have said, there great for breaking deep snow. Worst storm we've had here for me was almost a two foot snow fall, I remember watching everyone with there straight blades struggle to no end while I was busy doing the resi's that the straight bladders could only dream of doing. And to think my V plow was only $500 more than the 8' straight blade, it was well worth the money.payup
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I carried a Vee (Western, Snoway 28 and Mega, Snowdawg) for 16 years The vee made life easier maybe a half dozen times in that period but they were in scoop constantly. They never were a really great straight blade though.

I tried a power box (snoway 29R) two seasons ago loved it. They (29R, Wideout, XLS, Speedwing, etc) are much better at straight blading, back dragging, carry more snow in the box (scoop) position then any of the vees plus stack better and cleaner.
  10. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Basically what the rest have said.

On our V plows I use the V mode for busting open country driveways and it comes in handy when going down the road. lol

We find our selves using scoop probably 90% of the time. Especially on small snow falls we run the whole lot in scoop.

We run the blade straight only when back dragging and in heavier snows we run them angled like a straight blade at times.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

They are great for the 2% of the time you use it in V. No better then a straight blade wind rowing, and don't move as much in scoop as our scoop plows
  12. IDST

IDST Senior Member

Anybody in the twin cities (mn) using the wideout etc. on a big commercial lot. I would like to stop by and see them in action. I am looking at adding another rig next year and like what I hear about them. i used one at boyer ford the last snow we got but it was only about an inch and a half.
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

All but two of my accounts are post storm plowing so I use V a lot (snowdogg vx95). In fact we got 3" of snow that turned to sleet then freezing rain that accumulated another quarter inch of ice. If I had anything but a V plow to clear my drives this past storm the plow and truck would've taken a beating, would've taken more time, and not have cleared as well. In v mode I find it cuts up ice pack as well. Lastly the truck seems to carry it easier while driving from site to site and runs much cooler.
  14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

When I ran a V blade I rarely used the V mode and I didn't use the full scoop mode that much either. I would slightly v back when backdragging and when pushing I would scoop forward about a foot or so. Worked great for me. The only time I'd use full scoop was when I was cleaning up trails. Just my .02
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

9.6 is over legal width be on the roads if it was a straight plow But a V plow in V mode Its 8.5 width
    Like others said If have V mode its nice to make first run with drifted drives
    I run my V plow in scoop 90 % of time I dont windrow hardly much
    There is a different learning curve with V plow
    Add set wings on and you will out push any straight plow or a wideout
    I know I'll never plow with a straight plow again
  16. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

When back dragging I will slightly V mine back a little bit. Seems to help. I have found too that When back dragging a curved drive if you angle the wings right you can save a butt load of time. Up until this year I hated back dragging with my v plow. Now (prob since the little bit of snow that we have had has been so light) it hasnt been too bad. Helps too the more stick time that I have gotten with it.

The v position is pretty nice for break ins, and heavy snow.

I have found that I dont use the full scoop mode very often, unless I am just finishing up a small pass. I tend to run mine either half scoop or full scoop with one wing and straight with the other.

I am looking for some wings though. I think then that pig would move a butt load.
  17. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

I know that when I had the guys a Country Side Services in Ramsey, working on my pump they had two or three trucks with widouts on them going out to plow. And they have one or two sitting out side so I am sure that they will let you see one in action next time we get some snow. If we get some snow.
  18. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

A couple of times this season I've received a foot of snow at one time. I use the V position to clear a route out of my neighborhood. The neighbors appreciate it as the county plow trucks usually don't show up for several hours. Last year I had a storm that dropped 39" at one time. I didn't have the MVP then and my 7'-6" straight blade hardly made a dent. Nothing like plowing the lot 3 times to clear it. Wish I would've had a V blade then.