1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you use your Ebling? or pull plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by excav8ter, Jan 14, 2012.

1. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I bought my 14'Ebling this year for the development that i live in. I plowed it for 3 years before the Property management company gave it to a contractor who did a poor job. This year I was asked by the individual HOA'S ( there are 7) to take on the plowing again. They had some concerns about placing snow, and we felt that the Ebling was the answer. So now that i have it and have used it twice, I want to know how everyone uses theirs? On bigger parking lots do you run with the front AND rear plows down? How do you handle heavy, wet snow? On driveways its been awesome, but I feel a little lost in the church that i do.I If i make a pull to the end of the church lot with the wetter snow it packs down when I back over it ( DUH ) The heavy snow won't "windrow" at all, and "circle plowing " it not an option.I have resorted to pushing with the Ebling, while being very careful mind you.The guy I plow with is not impressed a all because he feels the Ebling should b on the ground at ALL times. I have been plowing for 25 years, so I am not a rookie. I just am curious as to what other owners do.

Thanks

2. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Well I'm also new to the Ebling, so I'm still learning also. But I know exactly what you mean by backing over the snow and having it pack down if it has a high moisture content.

My solution was to drag it down normally, back over it and then on the next incoming pass I would drop the front plow to push the last pile into the snow bank as I come to the end. Now like you said the snow got packed from backing over it so the front plow would just ride up over it leaving a big ol speed hump. When I have every thing cleaned up I than back up to the speed hump, drop the rear plow and with the down pressure it creates it scrapes up those gnarly speed humps without much issue, I than turn around and push what I just scraped up with the rear plow.

Again I'm new to rear plows also so others might have a better solution, but this seemed to work pretty well for me while still retaining most of the time I'm saving by using the Ebling.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Well, today was a much better day of plowing. 3-4" of powdery snow..... much better experience using the Ebling this morning. I could make full pulls across my church lot and then go back when it was all puuld to the side and wind row the remaining snow of the lot.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

5. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

Here is how we use ours. I love it but it does not get used all the time. During the day I don't run it...not saying I won't ever.

Link

6. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

On bigger storms we will leave the piles we make for the loader to push up....hardpack is not an option then.

7. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

I have a daniels that i bought this season. I back up to the garage door, drop it, and then pull almost to the end. Back up and finish with the front. the down pressure will almost lift the truck off the ground, so it scrapes VERY well. Customers love the job it does. I thought it would save time, but I don't see that just yet as I am being careful when backing toward the home.

8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

On most of the drives that i have, there is a lot of room across the street to pull the snow. I have been just pulling it out into the fields and spreading it out by gradually raising the Ebling up as i get far enough out. There is a huge time savings with the 14'Ebling on drives. We also do a manufacturing facility with a small truck dock, but its hardly worth the time for me to drive there just to drag the dock clean, so a truck with a V blade does that one. The church the we do, I see a big time savings.....but it has to be the right snow, no heavy wet stuff. Yesterday I cut my time by nearly half. The snow was about 3" and fairly light.

9. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

Here in Anchorage, we can't cross any streets with the snow. Nor can we stack it in the middle of a culdesac. The driveways are all in high density subdivisions and space is at a premium. I also have figured out that if there is more than a little slope to the driveway, the daniels loses effectiveness as it is raised up because the back of the truck is higher.

10. miderbier

miderbier Member

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

in a wide open lot I would put the 16' ebling down w/ the containing side angled in a bit and trailing side pinned all the way back, I'd run the whole push with the ebling and then drop the front blade at the end of the run to stack some of what I left there with the back blade on the previous pass. Repeat until I was done clearing the lot then I would go back and stack everything. Did a lot in 2.5 hours that took the guy last year over 5 hours.

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

It is supposedly illegal here too, but that doesn't stop most people. I am plowing a in a private community where we are the owners and maintainers of the roads, so I pretty much put snow where ever I feel. That being said, some of my drives have a pretty good slope to them as well, I just toggle the up/down switch on my Ebling to adjust for the change in slope.

The wind in our development is my biggest enemy, there is about 1800 acres here that makes up our development, there is an 18 hole championship golf that is very open, there is a large clubhouse and pool area in tthe middle of the area. Although there are not many homes yet. The Ebling is kind of a trial here.....I am thinking of a blower on a Tool at to blow the edges of the roads after they are plowed, as well as blowing all the drives and walks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  14. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

There comes a point where the angle of the driveway no longer allows the back blade to make contact, and I have found that it doesn't have to be steep. The blade is in the full down and still won't reach.
    We have "right of way enforcement officers" whose sole job is to perform quality control on street crews and also look for right of way violations. They will note the address and send the homeowner a letter informing them of the dirty deed their snowplower did. Along with a warning that next time it's a $300 fine. I had to call and explain once that all i did was took the pile the city crew had left and move it towards the center of the culdesac because the homeowner couldnt back out of their driveway. The city guy had piled it right at the end of their drive! The enforcement guy was polite, but said it appeared as though i had been pushing the snow into the street as there was no evidence of me having put it anywhere else. When i told him they had a huge pile in their yard hidden from view of the street, he actually came back out to confirm. He apologized and homeowner was happy.
    I'm all for makin' it easy, but sometimes the idiots of the world fight back.

15. miderbier

miderbier Member

16. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

To those running wide eblings, do you find that many parking lots are uneven causing it to leave snow strips?

17. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

No.....all of my stuff is relatively flat. The only place that is a little bit of a problem is the 4 entrances to a large parking lot that I do.....and that's just because of the angle down to the road.

18. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

Someone mentioned uneven or sloped driveways do not allow the Ebling to come into contact with the driveway; is this true?

I'm considering purchasing an Ebling; primarily for residential driveways; any thoughts? Is this a good application for the Ebling?

19. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

It depends on the severity of the slope. I have used mine for 2 winters now and couldn't be happier with my Ebling. Most of my stuff is pretty flat, but the residential property drives had some pretty good slope to them.

If there is extreme slope, it may be a bit of an issue. But, unless every one of your drives is seriously sloped, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Ben

20. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

I know this might be a difficult question to answer; but at what degree would you assume the slope would cause difficulties?