1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you unfreeze pump?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by amcolandscaping, Feb 12, 2008.

1. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

i have been reading these threads about frozen plow pumps how do you unfreeze? do i have to drain all the fluid tonight or else it will happen again? Its snowing now and we are supposed to get 3-6 inches and my plow doesnt go up down or angle i hear it running but nothing

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

You need to thaw it out and drain all the fluid. It's the water in there that is the problem, sometimes it takes a couple times to get it all. The water will be stubborn to get out in some parts. I had to disassemble a valve on my Meyer 47 pump, it had one drop of water in the top by the spring and would stop the valve every time it got cold.

3. jdadjstr

jdadjstr Junior Member

I agree, full flush is in order. Also, some people use a cap full of fuel de-icer too.