1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you turn the TORSION BARS

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jpocket, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I want to turn up the torsion bars on my 2005 2500HD, I dont have a plow on this truck, i just want it to ride level.

Please tell me the correct way to turn them up, to get a level ride height.

Maybe a few pics?:drinkup:
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thanks man I just cranked em 7 times, and the truck is about level now, I plan to put some taller tires on this spring (little fatter too). To give it that tough look.
  4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Get an alignment immediately!
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Seven times sounds like an awful lot to me. Did you measure before and after? I measured at the front wheelwell lip on the fender on each side, and the center of the crossbeam of the plowframe in front. Three turns gained me an inch and a half. I think a Chevy truck looks good with a little front to back rake to it, too level and it just doesn't look right. Seriously, I would be real nervous about seven turns. Check out the off road forum, torsion bar thread at fullsizechevy.com
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

it looks great, rides fine, and im not gonna worry about an alignment until I see signs of unusual tread wear.

I've got plenty of thread left on the bolts so it should be fine. I started out with 3 turns and honestly it looked almost the same. Now it sits about level, like the fords do, the Ford imo have the best stance, I don't like for a truck to run down hill.
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

They sit level when you load the rear suspension. I think GM wanted their trucks to sit level while doing what they are made for, not dragging their rear bumper like every F250 I see with a camper on the hitch or an ATV in the bed. Anyone else notice that? Everytime I see a Superduty loaded it looks awful. I'm told the differences between 250 and 350 is so miniscule that if you order a 250 with upgraded wheel and tire package, forged wheels and 10 ply tires, it is the same as a 350, unless the 350 has the cheap wheels, in which case the 250 has more rear payload. I have to laugh everytime I see the ad with the F350 dually 2wd supposedly having a 5900lb payload. How come I've seen new F350 crew duallies squatting with a 750 lb ATV? Or everytime you see one tow a camper it looks like a dog dragging it's itchy butt on the floor?
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I wouldn't have done it if my truck was primarily a work truck, but it my personal truck. The only towing it does is towing my race car on the weekends, and my mowers if my two older GMC's are broke which never break all at once. The truck is empty 90% of the time, and i like a level ride when im CRUISIN!

I may put an 8ft MEYERS on next year if I get more contracts.