1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you transport your pushers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carcrz, Jan 22, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

How do you transport your pushers & your skid loaders @ the same time? I have to find a way to do it w/ one truck & trailer. Or, I guess make 2 trips but even then I have to find a way to get it off the trailer.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it not far to go, drive them over at night time.

3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

What size pusher? Must be larger than 8' or you would just put in on the trailer attached to the loader.

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

10 - 15 miles away.

5. Lawnscape89

6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I actually am just starting to look pretty hard. I started another thread to see what the best size would be, but I am wanting one for a Case 1845C & would like to go as big as I can go because of the size of the lot I'm using it on.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Having a friend or two on the local police force is always good as well for those short moves. :)

8. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

good thinking. My brother-in-law is a KC cop (east patrol I think). He did say they don't do anything when the weather is bad. Maybe I'll give him something to do. It is way out of his area though. I'll have to see if he's up to it.

9. Lawnscape89

Here's a pic of the way I hauled mine once. It's and 18' dovetail and the pushers are 8'. If I'm only transporting one, I will just leave it attached to the loader. If you go with a 10', you will be overhanging your trailer by about 1' on each side. That probably would be illegal, but you may be able to get away with it during a storm / in the middle of the night.

If you have a stake bed, you could put the pusher in the bed from the side and haul the loader on the trailer.

Another option would be to have two trailers. A light duty one for the pusher (no sides or deck over) and one for the loader. You would still have to make two trips, but it would solve your loading / unloading problem.

Skid Loader and Avalanche Plows on Trailer.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I don't have one but guys here do it all the time, with 10' boxes and skid loaders. They just hang it over the sides of the trailer. just make sure you have your beacons on the whole time. Cops don't say much about that stuff around here but only when its snowing and at night.

11. hemisareslow

hemisareslow Member

LAWNSCAPE89....I'd hate to pull that set up on the highway...I'd have to imagine you don't quite have enough tounge weight....

12. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

yea no kidding...

Holy tail weight Batman!!!

13. jason t.

jason t. Member

Yea, what he said. I bet that rides like a bucking bronco

14. Lawnscape89

No, it wasn't any problem at all, really. Maybe it's the angle of the picture, but the skid has no attachment on it and the heavy end (engine & weight kit) is centered over the front axle. There's another bucket between the two pushers plus the forks (pretty heavy on the front end, actually). It's and 18' deck over and the pushers are 8', so I have the loader on the back 8' or so plus the dovetail. I pulled it with a F450 crew cab dually and that may help control sway, but I didn't notice any. I did only pull it about 10 miles, though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  15. hemisareslow

hemisareslow Member

Ahhhh The F-450...that Probly Made The Differnce...i Know It Probly Would Have Given My 2500hd A Ride On The Higway...although Like Ya Said Most Of The Weight Was On The Front Axle...

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the size, but pushers are cheap, buy 2 and have one at each place. If you add another SS, you'll already have the pusher.

10-15 is too long for a SS, but I'd go with the load it up and drive down the road. Might want to look into flags for it and lots of lights. You may never get pulled over but if you get in a wreck or cause one, you're going to have to pay the piper.

17. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

skid

I trailer mine hook up on the trailer with my plow truck
    I put my bucket on first and then drive my pusher up against it. I have a 10' pusher
    I have no problem with it ,it hangs about 6" off the side
    I will post a pic later this week

Frank

18. payton

payton Senior Member

get a truck 16 ft flat bed truck. stack the pushers on the truck.. equipment on the trailer.

19. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I have an old 10ft western heavy weight I move around. I just set it in the bed of my F350. I have a friend who does the same thing with a 10ft protech pusher. All he made was a 11ft long 2x6 floor with 3/4 plywood deck and puts it in the back of the truck when he moves it and still puts the skidseer on the trailer. Drives with no problem...