1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you train employees to handle injuries that can occur during service?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How do you train employees to handle injuries that can occur during service? What are some steps you take or strategies you have implemented to assist employees with dealing with injuries while out servicing properties?

please discuss and let us know some of your procedures and techniques that have worked for your business in training employees to handle injuries while out in the field

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Death is the only excuse I will accept for not finishing their route.

3. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

well, what are some of the safety training methods, or techniques, that you have used, or attempted to teach, in order to prevent such things from happening? or to ensure that they finish their route safely and in a timely manner?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I only have my son working with me so Safety / First Aid training is very manageable as long as I tee it up. Both of us have gone through American Red Cross First-Aid and CPR/Defib training, it’s the basics but enough to take care of most situations or until EMS shows up. Our VFD also does a great job by offering class throughout the year to the community and we have attended a few.
    It’s pretty easy to find a class close to your location www.redcross.org hit the “Take a Class” tab, enter your Zip and type of class you want.
    For larger company/groups I believe they will come to your site and instruct the class.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We do this every two years since that's when the certification runs out. Like you said, good for first aid, Cpr and defib. Fortunately I've never had to use it.

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The guys that work with me are firefighter EMT's & paramedics anyway, so injuries aren't anything I worry about! I have EMS jump kits in my trucks for bleeding control, band-aids, scissors, CPR pocket mask, gloves... generally more for happening upon a medical emergency than for anything happening in landscaping or snowplowing, but they're available for anything

7. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

In my full time job as a railroader we are required to report, no matter how small the injury to our first line supervisor. I would expect my employees to do the same when I get to the point of having employees. It protects the employer and the employee. It makes sense.