1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Totally Drain Fluid from E-60?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FatherandSon, Oct 18, 2004.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

I just saw a similar post by biggtruck and at least found where the fill hole and drain holes are located, thanks to jmassi.

But how do you totally drain the system? I mean the hoses? How much fluid normally will it take to refill.? Should you change the filter also, if there is one? Sorry for sounding so stupid but I am not a mechanic by any means.

Thanks for your help
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Your on the right track as far as starting the draining procedure.
    You need to also remove the hoses from the cylinders, and with the plow raised allow both the cylinders & hoses to drain too.
    You will be able to get most of the fluid out if you allow them to drain for and hour or so.
    If it's "real" bad you may want to remove the power unit and put some kerosene in it and shake it up and then dump the fluid out the fill port as this will help clean out the sump in the bottom of the base.
    You may have to do this a few times too if still looks dirty.
    Filter screens can be cleaned using kerosene or brake parts cleaner .
    You will need around two quarts of a quality low temp hydraulic fluid to refill your unit.
    After refilling operate the plow on the ground going back and forth allowing the cylinders to fill and the air to raise up into the tank, then refill and run the plow thru all of its functions.
    Finish topping off the fluid and you should be set to go.
    :rolleyes: John.........................................

JKOOPERS Senior Member

but when you refill the unit make sure you are 1 inch below the top of the fill hole .
  4. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

With the piston in the down position. I made the mistake of adding fluid 1" from the top with the piston up. :nono:
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We are running synthetic fluid in our Westerns. A little more money but well worth it on those real cold nights.