1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you tigten torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kenidaho, Jan 11, 2009.

1. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

Okay I'm new here. I have a 2004 K1500 GMC. I just had a 8 ft Hinker plow installed. (this was all that I could find) I need to rise teh front end. I will probably install timbrens. but in the mean time how do you tighten the torsion bars? Does any one have a photo. I have not done hardly any work to my truck. I have never worked on any suspension. I have done a lot of work on motorcycles and my ATVs but not my truck.

I don't have a service book any help would be apperacated. I think I can handle the timbrens install.

2. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

Easy to do....

first thing to do is jack up the front of the truck, just enough to get the tires off the ground, and use jack stands, now get under the truck and mid way back you will see what looks like a crossmember, om the bottom you will see a bolt sticking out under the torsion bar, its an 18mm or 3/4, if the truck has been a plow truck or its rusty use some wd40 on the bolts, tighten the bolts equal amounts, i would go 2 full turns and let the truck back down and see it its enough,....

3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Just as Eaton said BUT, if the bolts are very rusty, and they offer a lot of resistance, be careful! I watched a friend snap one off while trying to crank it. Take your time, use lots of PB or WD40, and use caution until you see the bolt turn freely. :salute:

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

After you are done turning them, spray the crap out of them with Fluid Flim, Wd, or Pb just to keep them from getting more rusted.

5. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

Thanks for your advice I will try this week end

Ken

6. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

your welcome..........

7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Only things I have to add are when you let the jack down, drop it quick. Also take it for a drive on a bumpy road. Doing these will help settle the suspension. You might have to do that and re crank the Tbars a couple times to get the height where you want it.

8. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

Well I jsut finished adjusting the T bars and adding timberlens. It was easy I would give a couple of tips on the Timbenes. Take off the tires it makes it much easier. Squrit the timblens with WD 40 before installing. Put teh top in and then use a small hammer to pursde teh bottom in.

This fixed my concerns the plow now doesn't scrape anymore coming out of my barn.

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Moooooow..