1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you tell if the angle arms are bad?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 1982atm, Dec 7, 2011.

1. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

I flushed and changed my fluid and when i did the fluid had lots of water in it. I'm getting a refurbished e60 and don't want my ram arms to be the cause of contamination due to them letting water in so how can i determine if they are allowing water in?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If fluid is leaking out, water can get in. Lift the plow, unhook angle hoses and push the plow back and forth to blow all the old fluid out.

3. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

i already flushed all the old fluid out but im not sure if water was getting in threw the angle arms or the lift arm. but since im getting a refurb e60 unit the ram arm will be addressed so i know it wont be letting water in. so how do i tell if the water is getting in threw the angle arms?

4. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Been told by a couple of rebuilders that the E60's (older ones) have the tendency to let in water over time as they are used. Snow from plowing gets on the pump, pump is warm, snow melts, water gets in. Not much you can do other than normal, yearly maintenance, including fresh fluid every year.

5. danknight163

danknight163 Member

if the pump is rebuilt right and and torq the right was to specs and then painted with a nice think coat of real Meyer paint you should be good

6. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

If you see any pitting of the chrome on the rams then that is an area where water can enter the system. Also if the rams leak fluid then they will also let water in. If the chrome is good and rams don't leak-then you should be all set.

7. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

how do i tell if the ram arms leak?

8. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio

I would wipe them down good and clean them up and then raise the plow about a inch off the ground and lay a piece of cardboard on the ground under them and then work the plow left and right a few times and then let it sit for a day and go back and see if you see fluid loss on the cardboard and look at the rams and see if you see any fluid leaks!

9. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

ok i will try that as soon as i get my refurb e60 ,,should be here by sat