1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you store your plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04tundra, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

hey everyone, new to owning a plow this year and I was wondering how everyone stores theirs when not being used?

more specifically I was wondering if it is okay to lay the moldboard on a dolly and have the mounting points in the air??

sorry for the most likely dumb question, but im trying to learn and save space in my garage.

Thanks!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just put them in our shop and store like they should be. IDK if storing the plow up right so to speak could effect the pump in any way. Plows are big, they take up space, not much you can really do. I know a guy who made some dolly's so the plow sits like it should then he can move it when he wants to. He has it stored under a work bench. They sell a plow dolly but if you go to any hardware store or even Harbor freight they all sell moving dolly's and thats all you need.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't lay it forward. Coat it top to bottom with fluid film and store it on a pallet out of the sun. Storing it inside, under a lean-to, etc is nice but if you tarp it leave the tarp loose enough to breath so moisture does not collect.

4. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

well right now I'm renting out a garage because i have an open trailer and have nowhere safe and dry to put my stuff. So i was thinking about buying an enclosed trailer (unstead of the garage) and putting my plow in it during the summer while still using the trailer to do lawns.

just trying to figure out space i will need in there to be able to work without being cluttered.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

May be a bit of a pain to get the plow in and out of the trailer, even with a ramp door. Just sounds like a good way to lose a toe. :eek:

6. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Where ever you put it just make sure its extensively cleaned and free of salt, then Fluid Film it...

7. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

I clean mine up good and fluid film them. Then I tarp them and leave them on a slab of wood.

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I spray mine down, fluid film them. The meyers i take pumps off and store inside, then all the blades on a pallet under a tarp. I think i'm going to take motors off old beyer spreaders as well. Although they are only $80 to replace motors each year. I wish i had room to bring boss V's inside, but they have never had any issues. Ready to work each year, i would put them on all my trucks if i had the money.

9. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

thanks for the advise guys, if you can think of anything else, i appreciate it.

it would be on a dolly...hopefully i wont lose a toe lol Thumbs Up

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Before I had a better place to store my plow, I used to store it in my garage.

It was my old Meyer, 8.5' diamond plow. Basically it was set up like a fisher speedcaster. The headgear stayed on the truck along with the reservoir, and the pump was under the hood.

I would just use a dolly and get the blade in the garage, then take the time to pull the a-frame off so I could stick it up against the wall.

My fisher now is also controlled by my hydraulics on my truck, but, when I broke it down to clean it up and paint it, I realized that I could easily do the same to it and store it in my garage if I needed to.

I've also thought about what I would do If I had an electric pump out front, and I would install some quick couplers for the plow hoses so you could easily get it apart and out of the way if you needed to.

Just food for thought.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like a pain. Then there is the extra gas of running around dragging the plow all summer.

12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I also left my plow outside all year on pavement but i tarped it and left the bottom open. i coated the whole thing with liquid wrench silicone spray. the plow looked great all year and everything worked well.

13. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

but the other side of the coin is im spending $150 a month on renting a garage when i could put the money towards a trailer..Still thinking about it

14. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I store my stuff on industrial shelving. This would be a good option also if you had a way to lift it up onto the shelves. I can put 3 plows on one 8' tall shelf. If you have a garage I would check on this. I'm not a fan of stuff sitting outside. I got all my shelves from a factory I did work for when they were buying all new shelves. The are heavy and work perfect.

15. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

up in the air, out of the sun ,and dry are the most important you must have a buddy with some space, hauling around all of the time sounds like a royal pain in the @#$ not to mention that you will want that in the front of the trailer and tongue weight will prob be an issue

16. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

my fathers stuff goes on top a pallet then put on top the sea container we can fit 5 sets plow/salt spreaders up there and not have to worry about someone stealing them the stuff at work the plow is behind the truck in the parking spot and the spreader is on a set of guardrails with the other trucks boxes

17. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I have 2 plows, one is just setting on 4X4 blocks of wood to keep it up off the ground, the second one we do flip up and let the A-frame stick up in the air. The one that we flip doesn't have any markers on it nor a flap on top of the blade so there is nothing to get bent or distorted by flipping it. When we store them we take a couple rags, dunk them in ATF and rap them around the exposed ram on the angle cylinders, and then rap a plastic bag around that and duct tape it in place, and done. Been doin it that way for over 30 some years and never had a problem. As far as the pump we remove that and sit it in a corner on a shelf in the garage, coat any electrical connections with dialectric grease and done until next snow season.

18. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

I store all my unimounts inside on the mold board like you said. This year one of them leaked (pump motor seal) and filled the motor with oil so I won't be doing that any more

19. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

okay im definitely not going to put it up on its moldboard then. i will most likely put it in the trailer bc that is the most cost effective thing to do

20. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I store my plows out side with for sale signs on them. All kidding a side, all I do is park them out side, coat the cyl's with grease and fill the electric connectors with dielectric grease. I have had no trouble in 26 yrs of owning plows.