1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do you store your drag chains?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flawless440, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We sprayed our chains with white lithium grease end of last season. All spreaders are new, the western looks great, the boss and swenson both were froze and took for ever to free up.

My guy thinks we should take the chains off at end of the season and let them soak in used motor oil in the off season. I have never took one of these chains off. I'm assuming theres a master link on the chain to take it off?

2. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Just replaced our first drag chain this year on a 2006 salt dogg I have had since New. Each spring my four v- boxes are fully sprayed clean , pickled with vinegar and then coated with chainsaw bar oil (sticky)put away on the sander under cover . On my units removing the chain is major labor. I tried the motor oil in the machines and major mess during the warm months . Bar oil does not drip everywhere . The rest of the machine gets fluid film.

3. Flawless440

come winter the chains were "free"?? Works well?

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Jason....this spring we pulled the drag chain off one our v boxes and let it sit all summer in used motor oil. When we put it back on last week it was better than new. It took about 15 minuets to put on and as soon as we flipped the switch man it turned perfectly. Very smooth and easy. We never got around to pulling that chain off the other 2 and man what a pain in the azz. We will be doing that from now on every year.

5. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

yes , chains moved freely . I have three salt dogg ss v-boxes back to 06 , 08 , 09 and a new fisher polycaster 2013 and they all get the same treatment . The 06 is the only unit with a new chain due to wear and tear .

6. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I have a fleet of 25 v-beds not stored at my location. I am lucky if they the clean the machine after they use them. We run the machine and soak with a sprayer filled with 50 percent sae 30 oil, and 50 of WD40. then adjust them.
    We have been streching them and every other year we take a link out to get the right adjusrtment.
    Hope this helps

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I remove mine every spring and put in a drum of oil/diesel fuel and pull it out come fall
    I'm on my 2nd chain This V box is 20 years old first one wore drag bars off

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

I store mine under a full load of sand for the summer and let the rain drift down through it...seriously I didn't empty it after the last snow this last season. Meant to, just didn't get to it. I know stupid because of all the problems that could arise. However, it wasn't the drag chain that was frozen. It was the spinner drive chain that was froze up. After cleaning it all out and going to the carwash to give it a final rinse, it still didn't want to move but a few inches each time I popped the clutch on it.

After a new spinner drive chain it ran like new. I also soaked the drag chain in PB Blaster.

Nick

9. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Fluid film

10. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Fluid film!!! Beginning and end of season. Never had a problem yet

11. Flawless440

Great info guys....

I think on the older V boxs the chains are removed much easier than the news ones i have purchased...

I have a bucket of Fluid film somewhere i haven't used in awhile. Got so messy

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Buddy of mine bought a Brand new one this year looks same as my 20 year old Swanson To pull chain you pull out the front not the back Tie rope on it before you remove the chain once chain comes out untie the rope leave it in.

Every one I seen has a inspection cover on the front