1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Stay Awake

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by millsaps118, Dec 14, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

While out plowing all night and day what do some of you guys do to stay alert and awake? I'm not a coffee drinker but will have an occasional cappuccino, other wise its Mountain Dew or Red Bull.:dizzy: :dizzy::dizzy:
  2. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

DRUGS!!!!!... just kidding... i know a guy that will take caffeine pills if he has to pull long hours. he says they work good for him but can make him a little jumpy. personally i have really never had a problem pulling long hours, i think listening to the radio helps..
  3. starc

starc Senior Member

I've never had a problem staying awake when I working, the problem kicks in when I know I'm finally done. Then I have a hell of a time getting home. One season, three or four years ago, we had a fairly steady snow that lasted for 13 days. At the time our route on a 2" snowfall took 2 of us 22 hours. We lived in the trucks for the 13 days without problem, when it was done and we finally got home...I slept for damn near a week.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Ive got the opposite problem after certain storms. No problem staying awake while plowing because i get so focused, but when i get home im exhausted but my brain just wont fall asleep...its still in snow-go-mode

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

pop and chew.
  6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

OOOOOO YEAH!!!!! I forgot......CHEW:drinkup: :drinkup: :nod:
  7. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

I have seen some people who stay awake by counting the scratches and dents they have just got on there truck. But i hope we all stay awake counting the money we are making not to mention all the fun we are having were is the frigen snooow man.wesport wesport
  8. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

drink lots a coffee and get out in the cold and pee, then shovel a little sidewalk drink coffee plow and pee, repeat.
  9. payton

payton Senior Member

keep the window cracked.. 2 hot and im sleepin like a baby..

mountain dew. coffee-starbucks from time to time..

ive done some caffinee pills from time to time.

but normally its just a fact of stayin awake..

and if it does get to the point where your bout to fall over..

pull over and grab a 15 min power nap. set the alarm on ur phone and snooze for 15 mins.
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's important to remember to keep your body nourished, half the time I get such a bad headache I find it hard to function. Keeping some type of powerade, propel, or AH type of drink along with you for the ride helps. I've also got my Stanley Thermos and a lunchbox with me. Keep the coffee flowing and some type of lunch/snack. I'm not afraid to swing home for a few hours for a short nap if need be either.
  11. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes Junior Member

I don't think about sleep usually works for the first 84 hours or so then food to keep me going I sometimes need a nap to make it home... nothing like sleeping in a parking lot for an hour then going home
  12. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Mountain Dew, Kodiak, Music and the window open. Most the time I am in plow mode and look forward to the next driveway or parking lot.
  13. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

monster engery drinks and coffee and i always have some snacks and jerky
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have found that getting a good couple nights sleep before a storm is a good idea but that only lasts so long. Plenty of coffee, I get out of the truck every couple of hours and stretch. Like some one else said don't be afraid to pull over and take a power nap. I'm usually good for being up 60 hours straight then things tend to get a little loopy.:dizzy:
  15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Full Throttle energy drink, or BooKoo, or Rockstar, they all give you the 'shakes'

redbull's just not enough.
  16. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

After some time serving with the armed services "Special Folks" here are my tried and tue methods for hitting the 100 hour mark without sleep and not turning into a waking zombie.

Plan early, Like a week before a storm I will be watching the forecast. If they are hinting about snow I immediately change my diet. No fast food, plenty of salad, starches, good wholesome food will help you fight fatigue. Also, fresh fruit, especially bananas helps with concentration and fighting muscle cramps and fatigue.

Plenty of vitamins. Take a multi-vitamin every day, it helps with concentration and your eye-sight both day and night.

Regulate the heat in your truck carefully. I always keep it on the coolest side of comfortable. Get out and stretch, walk around the truck. Take a pee, shovel, etc.

Wear proper clothes and boots so that you don't get cold. Being cold and shivering burns a lot of calories. DON"T GET YOUR FEET WET! Keep at least 2 pair of dry sox and a dry set of footwear in the truck. When you have to be awake for extended periods of time, calories are a substitute for sleep.

AVOID SUGERY ENERGY DRINKS AND SODA!!!! A good rule of thumb is for every ounce of sugery drink or non-diet soda...drink 2 ounces of regular water. Diet soda is better but you should still keep water in your truck. I'm a big fan of Chew and or smoking. The health hazards suck but both activities keep you alert and also nicotine is a beter stimulant than coffee.

The rest comes down to personal preference. I alternate between the radio and CDs. I put a red filter over the dome light of the truck to help with eye strain and night vision. I keep a good pair of sunglasses (UV blockers or eagle eyes) with me for daytime plowing.

Naps are a good idea. Keep your phone or a travel alarm in the truck. Park at the back of the lot and catch 15-30 minutes of sleep. If your boss starts nagging you about taking a nap every 6-8 hours after the first 24. Ask him what his insurance deductabl is.

I'm sure that i missed some things here. The science of staying awake and alert is really subjective to the person. Mostly eating well balanced meals the week before a big storm, take your vitamins, don't eat heavy during the storm. Stick with what is easy to digest. Don't get dehydrated, your body is losing water and minerals every minute that you are awake alive, it gets worse under stressful conditions like being awake for 2 or 3 days.
  17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Usually coffee and excitement keep me going. Plus I have another person with me either doing sidewalks or just along for the ride, so that also helps. Whenever I really get tired, I usually go thru McDonalds and sit in the truck and eat.....always wakes me up! :nod:
  18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

A 12 pack of Mountain Dew sitting in the snow in the bed of my truck. There is nothing better!
  19. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Clear family members last, they call every 15 minutes or so asking where I am...that usually keeps me awake...

Helpful Tip ... Anyone over 70 apparently sleeps in shifts during storms and has an incredible NEED for their driveway and walk to be cleared at all times (no more then 1/2" accumulation, regardless of the condition of the roads or walks leading to it...they are my best kept secret...:help:
  20. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Never had a problem with it, when there is work to be done just do it.