1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you stack your snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by By-The-Lake, Mar 8, 2010.

?

How do you stack your snow?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2010.
  1. Deposit the snow directly across the road from the client if the driveways are offset

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Stack the snow at the front of the clients property

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Stack the snow at the end of the driveway on either side

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  4. Other

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. This is directed to contractors servicing residential clients. I am fairly new to the snow business with 2 years experience working for other companies and just started offering snow removal this year for my own clients.

Towards the end of the year I received a letter from the police stating that a complaint had been filed that I had deposited snow on the roadway without permission from the Ministry of Transportation. I was quite surprised by this as I always stack the snow off the road, however I did have 2 neighbors of clients ask me not to stack the snow in front of their house(likely a city easement anyway) so I guess it is not too surprising that people would complain. My clientelle is 90% residential and I normally backdrag the driveway, push the snow to the roadway and then stack. My order of preference for stacking is as follows:
    1. Deposit the snow directly across the road from the client if the driveways are offset
    2. Stack the snow at the front of the clients property (much harder to stack cleanly depending on the width of the roadway)
    3. Stack the snow at the end of the driveway on either side (never do this as there is usually a sidewalk that I would be blocking)
    4. Other

I tried to follow-up by calling the contact on the letter and was never able to contact them and never received a call back from any of the message I left so I could clarify the situation. Anyway it got me curious what other contractors do and to see if anyone else has had a similar experiences and if there are any specific bylaws that prohibit the snow from being pushed onto the roadway before stacking?

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

It is illegal in most US States to push any snow across any public highway. Although were mainly a commercial operation we have had several residential clients ask to have snow pushed across the roads. My drivers are not allowed to do this under any circumstances. We go to the end of the drive and pile to the sides usually. Sometimes on we plow up longer drives and then push to either side near garages if their is room. We always discuss where snow is going to be stacked when there is a lot. Most people always forget they need room for snow somewhere. Good luck and don't plow across streets.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

It may be illeagle but I do it all the time! In some houses tho, I push I all into the street And plow it to the side so it distributes the snow and gradually lift my plow

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why do you do this?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's how guys in Michigan do it.:rolleyes:

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

Thats the nice thing about snow blowers and elimination of any evidence you have been there. Just be careful not to break any of the neighbors widows:rolleyes:

:yow!::eek:

7. ajslands

Because i only do it on 2 of my drives, the others I just put in there yard or distribute it. And theirs no law saying you can't distibute snow, and the places I push it across the street is city property. Do I still get to work for you next year? :waving:

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If you don't know how to keep it on the property from where the snow came from.......no.

9. ajslands

I must know how unless you think I only have 2 clients :laughing:

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Obviously there is no denying this. :dizzy:

11. ajslands

I wonder what you would do if there's sprinklers at the lot and you can't put it on there lot withou risking damage, Cuz iv only done his for a year so iam kinda new Troy??

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Irrigation heads or not.....lift your blade above the turf height so you don't cause damage.

This is not Troy, he does not frequent the sites......sometimes I wonder why I do. :dizzy: :cry:

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im guilty of pushing over the road but THE ONLY times i do this is late in the season if we havent had much melting and if we also service the persons house across the street. this is done rarely.

i ALWAYS clean up any trails i leave on the street so theres no evidence, except a cleaner street than what the city leaves!

ALL OTHER times its on the clients property, on either side of the apron usually or off to the sides of driveway. Clients do not understand that we are not allowed to push across roadways no matter how many times i tell them:cry:

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Depends on the drive. 9/10 I just backdrag into the street then push onto the corners of the front lawn.

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That what I do. Stop before you know it turf or gravel then lift plow about 1" then push snow on yard.

It pissed off me when people push snow across road and left pile on it. You know what happened. Your plow truck lose control. Many time I need slow down when I across.

16. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

When it doubt, push it out and let someone else deal with it. It's really cool to see cars try to dodge piles taller than they are.

:laughing:

OK, OK, OK. I generally try to push it out and the roll it into the client's front yard evenly along their curb line. I try to avoid corner piles because they tend to block sight lines when backing out. But this assumes, of course, normal snowfalls.

HTH

17. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you've been reading those plow stickers to much!

18. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I also stack with a plow, but you still cant push it across the road. It can be dangerous......

19. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

i had the police stop and tell me this at 3am when ive done it for 8 years prior ....i guess i will abide by it......:laughing:

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I just plow ALL the snow in the street and drive away real fast...:eek:...Christ...This aint Rocket Science Fellas...Quailty counts...:nod: