1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you schedule your routes and keep track?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CGM Inc., Dec 20, 2008.

1. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I just took over a company that is in business for 30 years.
    We do have 7 plows, 2 spreaders and 2-3 sidewalk crews to maintain 30 commercial sites.

In the past everything has been scheduled and tracked in the old owners head on the go.
    Tough for me to pick up why and how he does things since everything is based on experience, etc.

What tools do you have in place to establish routes and make sure you visited all sites and got the job done in time?

We do have 2 way radios in place, I also started to track with a check list for each site when I get feed-back it has been plowed or salted.

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

2. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

have your crews radio you everythime that they finish a job you check it off your sheet and send them to the next job on your list.

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Give your crews a list of properties to do and have them contact you when finished with the list. Each crew should have it's own list. When their list gets done then they can help with the other crews. jmo

4. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

That is how I was thinking.....

Keep the suggestions coming!

5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

definately seperate lists and phones to call in when close to done. When first truck calls in, try and get a hold of the other trucks and see how much they have left then make it work so they get done at the same general time. Of course a couple of the guys will be beat and not want to continue past their list, bad part about list. good luck with that.

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I'd figure out a couple different routes and put the closest accounts into those routes. then on larger lots have multiple trucks. Just what I would do. then they all learn to specialize on specific lots and get quicker at those lots faster. and because you routed them in groups based on location you save drive time and expenses!

7. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

:tup: that is how I like to do it! Certain sites can only be plowed at night due to traffic and customers going in and out all day. 2 or 3 alternative schedules are needed based on amount of snowfall and time of the day.

Do you Guys have any lists you can share?

Appreciate all the help!

8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

This is how we do it too. Just like mowing, everyone has their own list and storm document sheets to fill out. Everyone also gets eachothers lists, so when they are finished they can start helping the other crews. I am in periodic contact with all crews via nextel two way checking to make sure time is going fast enough. It works real well for us that way.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I put out 4 trucks for plowing each storm. Each driver plows the same area of house's each time out, we are usually all done around the same time. This seems to work out well for us.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We have a binder in each truck/machine that includes a MASTER LIST of all the sites, with addresses and what we have to do there-plow/salt and or walks, with a site map of all sites in alphabetical order. Each piece of equipment is assigned a route sheet, with room at the bottom of the sheet to add additional sites as needed. Each operator fills out their form and calls me when they are about 1/2 hour to completion, when they finish, and when they get to their next site. This allows me to send a salt truck to salt the property or group of properties and track whats going on through the night-all while plowing a very small route of my own. Its alot of prep work prior to the season, but makes everyones life easier during the snowfall. Just this year we put Garmins in all of our trucks, so I dont have to waste my time giving directions all night. Hope this helps.

BTW-who did you buy out if you dont mind me asking. I grew up in Mississauga. Just curious.

11. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

Really? Make it there responsibilty to document and submit the sheet when the night is finished. Isn't that the reason we have employees? Exactly what JohnnyRoyale is saying.

12. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

Ever use excel? Keep it simple. One column for location, another for time in, time out, comments - comments would be for plow, touch up's salt etc... Does that help at all? Don't know how to post templates sorry man.

13. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

use a GPS with a route calculater, it will tell you the times, how long and estimate how long you will be plowing for you! Mine has bluetooth and when I get home and walk into living room my GPS automaticly transfers the days info to my laptop. Its very convienant, and you can get them for a couple hundred now.

14. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Sure do...that is pretty much what I have in mind and already set-up.
    Just picking everyones brain to get better :salute:

15. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

For sure! But if you skip a site by accident we pay for it...

16. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

That sounds perfect! I let you know at some point, it is just to new to be all out there.
    PM me if you want to know.

17. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

So if you have 8 sites you go to in a night, will it do time in, time out for all the sites individually? If it does - what's the GPS your using? I'm trying to go paperless.