1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you ride with your blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2robinhood, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I see people ride down the roads with their blade in all different positions.
    When you ride down a HIGHWAY/ROAD, do you have you plow flat, angled left, or angled right ?
    I have been running with my straight plow in the flat position.
    I figured that if you catch something with it angled to the right it can deflect you into on coming traffic, if angled left it can through you off the road.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Fully retracted so the chance of a car (etc) striking it are greatly reduced. It's a Western MVP Vee blade.
  3. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

Also lift the size or your blades.
    I know that 9 foot, 10 foot and so on blade need to be angled.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

8' straight angled slightly right and very low to ground so I get air flow
  5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I can never decide If I should angle it left or right, so I put in the Vee :D
  6. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

7.5 foot with Pro Wings. Angled all the way to the right and down just a little bit. Truck likes to get air lol
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I started the same exact thread about 2 weeks ago :)

Seems that unless its a state law, its mainly preference.

I have heard guys say to the right so it don't pull them into the large snow banks..

Me I run mine to the left, keep it out of the curbs that are way to far out and to keep them mirriors on the cars when I make a right hand turn....

But I have seen people run them all different ways....
  8. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I run mine the the right and a little lower the only reason i notice the transmission cooler is on the right side of the truck I figure more air to it can't hurt.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You should angle it to the left for safety reasons as if as car drifts obever your plow won't cut them to pieces. I do agree on narrow roads angling to the right is safer for us as we can't get pulled into the ditch.
  10. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

i run with mine right for airflow and if the slush starts to pull you to the right just drop the p,low and keep going straight
  11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

This is how and why I run mine full angled to the left. Also I have a 9' w/ Wings so it is always angled while driving down the road. I keep it a little lower also for air to get into the radiator and so it doesn't block my headlights.
  12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I run mine low and straight.
  13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

low and straight, seems to catch alittle snow sometimes but its cool to wacth at 3 in the morning when there is nothing to do!
  14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

All the way up and straight.. Angled seems like it wants to push the truck to the right or left. I'm sure the fuel miles are beter with it to the right or left but i like it straight, and it doesn't get in the way of my headlights when it's straight.
  15. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

depends on where the wind is coming from. If it's coming from the right, I angle left. Less resistance = better fuel mileage. Just my opinion.
  16. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

8.5ft fisher, up as high & stright

NHDIESEL Junior Member

i keep it as low as it can go if i'm on the highway for awhile. keep fresh air goin into that grill
  18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

7.5 Fisher, all the up and left, if the high side is to the passenger side it throws the road salt and crap up on the passenger side of the window instead of my side and that saves me on washer fluid
  19. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

On the highway, to the left, in town straight