1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you quote a plowing job?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by mishnick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hey guys & snowgirls too... I am a plow mechanic who is just installing a plow on my own truck for the first time, have installed hundreds of all sizes but never operated one. I have an F550 and haven't yet decided what to put on for a plow but I am rigged to run any Western Ultramount. I plan on either a wide-out or pro plow and some sort of sander, probably a Tornado or Ice breaker.

My question is how do you decide what to bid on a parking lot or driveway for example? I understand that most sucessful operators have contracts where they get paid a retainer to be on standby snow or not and then they get more when they actually plow & sand.

Any insight on pricing policies would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Find a good local contractor and sub to them for a few years....you may find you'd rather stick to installing.
  4. grandview

open your own shop. You'll make more money fixing other guys plows after they broke them.

JUNKYARD Junior Member

Guys and girls
    this will be my first year in the snow plowing business , but now after reading the replys i am getting leary about getting into the plowing business show i rethink my plans
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt do it, chances are you will problably start smoking heavily from the stress and die at a young age.
  7. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I say Sub from someone for a year or 2. When you figure out what you can plow and how long it takes, then you can get your own stuff. I , plow for someone full time then I have a few places that are my own accounts. Small apartment complex and several driveways. I find that I make more $$$ working for another company and they always can give you more work if I need it. Plus, I can bill the bulk of my time to one guy and one invoice which is 1 check. Billing for several driv es and waiting on several checks doesn't seem to add up the same.

I sub from a company that has hand crews do all the sidewalks and stuff which is great. I can plow for 16 hours straight without getting out of the truck and stay warm. I even have the choice to plow NAKED if I wantet..... But I havn't. Yet!
    Long story short, You might have better luck as a sub to start out until you get some time under your blade. :)
  8. BlackKnight07

BlackKnight07 Member

I'm in the same boat as you are after much research and asking dumb question, I'm just going to go for it. I'm going to try and Sub for a year or so and see if i like it, if Not..
    I'll just sell the plow, its paided for.
  9. grandview

The least you can do is grab a few driveways and try it out for the season.