1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you purchase the salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lmarine, Sep 24, 2006.

1. lmarine

lmarine Member

Hello I'm kinda new to the salt and ice control so if this sounds stupid sorry dude I just purchased a Ford F800 dump with a spreader from the county but now getting the salt I mean do you guys buy it in a gravel train and store it yourself or is there place where you can just go and get loaded with the salt every time you need it or do those places get jammed up on ice days and maybe are not open when you need them??? or if i fill the dump up with 5 yards i guess you guys like to go by the ton so lets say 3tons = 5 yards ??? well would it be OK in the dump with just the tarp pulled over it so what way do you most of you do this i even seen the 5 gallon pail trick on pallets but I'm doing a 40 acre complex plow and salt.:) oh I'm in metro Detroit,MI plow site is in Clinton Twp.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For your specific area, start by looking in the yellow pages under "salt" for a distributor. However, up here, the port (source for bulk salt) does not advertise at all - you just have to know about it, where it is etc. Being in Detriot, I'd guess there is a port near you. You want a facility to store your own, but be aware of State and Local laws regarding storing salt. There may be restrictions on siting and size.

DO NOT STORE SALT IN YOUR DUMP. If the temp varies, it will turn to a solid lump. Using a tarp only traps the moisture, making it worse. Having a dump, you might be able to use a loader or backhoe to get it out, but it would be best to unload after each run. If you don't have a loader or backhoe, your arms will be awfully tired from breaking it up.
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

super sacks

Also some salt dealers are now packing salt in super sacks that are big bags holding 2 tons each on a skid all you have to do is raise it off the skid with a hoist or another lift deviece and pull the string at the bottom and 2 tons of dry salt fall into the hopper. Plus you dont need to deal with EPA regs. on storage because cuz its not bulk product. I will run and get some pics of them and post it tonite..
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

this is what we have been using for the past 2 years. the bags we use are closer to 1 yard. same bags seed companies use to store seed soy beans.
  5. fernalddude

Super sacks

100_1476 (Medium).JPG
  6. fernalddude

close up of the lift hooks will show all the pics of a bagger line on monday with a new thread

100_1477 (Medium).JPG