1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you protect your gear???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FLASHMAN, Sep 14, 2006.

1. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

I'm looking at my beautiful new Curtis, and I'm wondering how everyone protects thier blade, frame, etc... I'm using dielectric grease on the electrical connectors, white lithium on the cylinders and frame where it mates with the truck... what else do all you vets use to protect the blade and frame... any tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated... thanks...

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Fluid film everywhere it might rust. Stuff is great.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yep im loving my fluid film

4. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Dealer in CT?

:waving: Plowman,
    I'm in CT also is there a CT dealer? I've been using Food Grade Silcone I get from work. :dizzy: Where do you get it from? :help:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Wash it all down after a storm and keep them inside. That's best if you have a big garage.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

uh i just put it in the back yard, lol thats about it.

7. PLOWMAN45

8. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Thanks Plowman :)

:salute: Thanks Plowman :drinkup:

Preston, CT

9. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

10. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Thank You :)

:waving: ALL,
    I one store in CT the was a registered dealer doesn't get it anymore! :angry: So, I placed an order online. :salute:

Thanks Again,

11. PLOWMAN45

i was gonna be a distributor but you cant post that in sig in here to let everyone know

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Anyone ever use "salt away" ?

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just wash it down, dry it off with a blow gun then re-silicone everything again. I use a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the ram shafts and lift arm piston. I dont have the luxury of a garage (wife's new van, oh yeah and baby girl) so my plow is usually left on the truck or when its definetly not going to snow I keep it at our shop covered up off the ground though.

14. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

top of the driveway and let it sit there....maybe if it was newer or something i would take better care of it

15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The best thing you can do for it is keep it inside somewhere. It's tough if you don't have a garage to keep it in, because the weather really takes a toll on it. I had it in my yard this summer and it now needs a couple of things before winter starts. Oh, and change the fluid before every season with the the EZ-Flow.

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I try to keep it inside, and after every snow I wash it and spray it down with corrisionx, best stuff I have ever used. I swear by it, but its not cheap. www.corrosionx.com

Regards Mike

17. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Hey Mike, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if you check out our testing page you will find some suprising results about corrosion x. This was an outside, independent test and the most suprising thing I found were the results concerning corrosion x.

If you haven't tried Fluid Film, send me a PM and I'll send you a can for free. I'd love to have you swear by our product. Actually, if there is anyone on here that lives in the Continental United States and hasn't tried Fluid Film, send me a PM and I'll get a can out to you.

18. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Dano
    I'm open to trying a can against corrosionx, if it is half as good as corrosionx then you will have a great product. I will keep a open mind and time will tell the tale. I have send you a pm with my shipping info.

Regards Mike

19. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

I'd like to try Fluidfilm this year. I painted 3 out of 4 of my blades this summer

20. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Just send me a pm with your shipping address. I'll get a can right out to you.

Dan