1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you plow in a long storm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ein999, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ein999

ein999 Member

For example if you have an 8 hour storm how do you plow. Do you have to replow for a second time or do you just wait till the snow is over and then push all at once. I am asking because i am going to tri to do it on my own and im wondering how i will start out.

I am going to be using a snowthrower so i dont want to have to do one drive more than once. Im wonderng if the customers will be fine with waiting till the storm is over? I know it sounds a little wierd. Your opinion is helpful.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Well, you should make a contract and then do whatever it says you are going to do. Mine basically says that plowing begins when snowing stops and plowing is usually performed once in a 24 hour period. I also say that in a large storm a path will be cleared from garage to street by 7AM with additional cleanup after the storm has ended as needed.
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

your best bet is to set a trigger depth, say 3" and snowblow WITH the storm, If you have multiple drives and you get say 10-12" it will take you a whole lot longer to blow 12" per drive than it would to blow 3" per drive 4 x. If you are not able to go out that often I would not let the snow get to much above 6" or you will be up to your neck in snow with customers calling wanting to know when will they be done. (Most homeowners think they are the ONLY drive you do.)
  4. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

get a plow and go with the storm otherwise you will be out all night and day, not many people are going to want to hear a snowblower late at night or really early in the morning like 430 am. How are you getting the snowblower around if all the drives are close to you i would say buy a cheap 4x4 atv and make a plow for it, cost about $2000 at most for a older bike and make the plow for it. this will help you alot and keep you alive.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Ask the customer what they want done.....but charge more when the snow gets over 6".
    They either pay you a lesser fee 2 times or a higher fee if you wait the storm out.
    Some people need to get out in the morning and back in their drives early evening cuz of work.
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

always plow with the storm, i usually wait until 5 inches have fallen before i go out if the storm is going to be long and drop alot of snow.